Finally got an iphone

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Finally got an iphone

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well, I finally did it. Got a 16g 3G phone. My poor old Sony Eriksson flip phone that I've had for almost 3 years was starting to get testy so it was finally time to upgrade. Mind you that old phone was just a phone that could sent text messages...no internet, no nothing. Just an old school cell phone. So this is a massive upgrade for me and what a totally cool phone..well i guess its really a mini computer with a phone feature 8--)

I found a cool application that allows me to get detailed directions on the tubes in London and it doesn't need to be connected to the internet to work, unless I want real-time info on what lines are having issues. It also tells me how to get to all the major touristy stuff like museums, parks, etc. from my present location. I am still getting the hang of this thing, but its so easy to sync with my mac computer. All my calendars and address book update each other whenever I plug the phone into my computer. I've now got all my music into the phone and I'll add some pics too. Makes like so much easier to have a full back up address, calender, etc in the palm of my hand. I love it so far.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Re: Finally got an iphone

Post by Marc J. »

Sounds very cool!!! I just picked up a new Blackberry and I'm still in the process of figuring out everything it can do (movies, GPS, thousands of songs, CDMA & GSM options, ect)......
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Andy Velebil wrote:I found a cool application that allows me to get detailed directions on the tubes in London and it doesn't need to be connected to the internet to work, unless I want real-time info on what lines are having issues.
This feature sure will come in handy in your present location, huh Andy!!! ;)

Oh, don't mind me, I'm just jealous that you got an iPhone and I can't have one, what with the ridiculous data-rates up here, the lack of iPhones shipped to Canada, etc. :roll: :?

Very cool phone. I saw Sean's while I was in Boston and it sure is a cool phone.

Todd
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Yup, the iPhone is pretty solid all-around phone. The user interface is phenominal, the screen is made of ballistic glass which means it almost never scratches, and the touch screen uses a different technology than most touch screen phones which makes it far more responsive.

Be careful using it continuously for extended periods of time, though, because the battery can get very hot.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

This feature sure will come in handy in your present location, huh Andy!!! ;)
I feel like I've lived there for days :lol: :lol:

he user interface is phenominal, the screen is made of ballistic glass which means it almost never scratches
I got the anti-glare cover which doubles as an extra layer of protection from scratches, which I need at work...plus the hard clear plastic cover too.
I just picked up a new Blackberry and I'm still in the process of figuring out everything it can do (movies, GPS, thousands of songs, CDMA & GSM options, ect)......
Yeah, Im the first one to admit that I am usually the last one to get a cool new tech device. I prefer to wait a bit and let things get settled down and most of the bugs worked out first. Now a whole new world has opened up to me :help:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Try answering the iPhone on the bike; quite difficult! The iPhone does not play well with sweaty hands!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Try answering the iPhone on the bike; quite difficult! The iPhone does not play well with sweaty hands!
Its actually a little big to carry on long rides..I need the space for food. But its nice to be back to the old days of riding with no phone to ring and bother me in the middle of a steep hill climb. But if I ever get lost, its got GPS and maps 8--)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I used the maps on a bike ride once with success. I wonder if the GPS could replace the bike computer? I have the old model iPhone :oops:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I did notice there was an application that tracked your running route. I wonder if this could be used for riding as well? but i've not used a computer for many many years. I don't care what speed i'm going at, so long as no one else is passing me :lol: I use a heart rate monitor for hard workouts and races, but I've been riding/racing long enough where I know my body very well and how hard I'm going without needing a computer to tell me.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I hear you. I'd rather be faster in my head than the truth.

I do not like to "race" my bike computer as I enjoy rides better without it. I do use one, but the most basic Cateye wireless. Its most useful purpose is a clock and odometer, I do like average speed too. I gave up on the high tech ErgoBrain - wires running everywhere and took from the beauty of the bike. Even though the display showed what cog I was in, I inevitably was looking behind me to check...