Liquid Lunch???

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

Liquid Lunch???

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Does anyone ever imbibe in a bit of Port, or anything else alcoholic, while at lunch during their work day?

With the way the world has changed in recent years, this seems to be something that is frowned upon by most companies these days. People's attitudes have changed, rules within companies have changed, etc.

I was intrigued by this today when I happened to stop by the local fine wine store to pick up part of my wife's birthday present: the 1968 Messias Colheita. I have been told that it is even better than the 1966 Messias, which we tried last month and loved (TN here) so I am looking forward to opening it for her tonight.

While I was shopping in the store, one of the owners, also a Port nut, decided he had a hunkering for some nice accompaniment for his lasagna lunch and knew that if I was there, he would have help, so he sacrificed a bottle of 1997 Noval LBV. (This convinced me I am in the wrong industry. Screw IT!!! I need to get into the business of owning a fine wine shop so a personal bottle is never far away!) Yes, Roy and Andy, I was paying attention and even came back to the office with this TN.

After 30 or so minutes, and a couple of samples of this fine Noval LBV, I returned to work, saddened to be pulled away from such a fine example of what a great unfiltered LBV is all about.

While a couple of ounces of sampled Port are not going to get a guy all messed up and unable to do his job, it certainly did make me a happy guy... Things seem a bit better after an uplifting experience such as this, and I found myself wondering whether this is something that anyone does or does not indulge in once in a while during a work day (even if it is Friday afternoon for me)?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Liquid Lunch???

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes, Roy and Andy, I was paying attention and even came back to the office with this TN.
Good man you are...now if I can just get Alex R. to post some TN's :twisted:

I wish I could have a drink at lunch...but my work REALLY frowns on that practice :Naughty: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Heh heh... I can understand that with your employer. Particularly when you are riding the steel hog... none of that young man!!! :Naughty: :Naughty:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Heh, my work even provides the beer and hard cider at our Friday afternoon meetings! I'm sure they wouldn't care a bit if I brought along a bottle of Port to share.

We often have beer, wine, or mixed drinks at lunch if the mood strikes. No one cares as long as you're professional and get your work done.
Glenn Elliott
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I like the sounds of your work Glenn. Hmm, what do you do??? do you need an IT geek/Port-nut who would be okay with moving his family to Seattle???

You would have to put up with me saying "eh" a lot and listen to my stories of hockey though... If you can get past the blatant Canadian stereotypes though, I'm a nice guy! :roll: :salute:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

My friends work, which shall remain nameless, has a small bar set up in the corner. They regularly do wine days or beer days later in the afternoon when people need a little fun. I stop by periodically on the wine days and bring some stuff to share. Its real fun and I wish I had a work that did that.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm a Producer for a game company, and yes that's about as fun as it sounds. :D We don't actually play games all day, but it's still a lot more relaxed and entertaining than Boeing, which is where I started as a computer programmer oh so many years ago.

Seattle's just a short drive from Vancouver - or more specifically from Whistler - so I have been to the land of "Eh" many times. In fact, one of our founders is Canadian - as I recall he's from Vancouver.
Glenn Elliott