Odds 'n Ends...

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Todd Pettinger

Odds 'n Ends...

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Tonight was a weird night.

I had all sorts of odd thoughts running through my head as my son (and indeed his mother) prepared for his first day of school (kindergarten, so only half days, but monumental in any case). I had all kinds of musings on fatherhood and how much my kids mean to me. I have shared on many occasions how I am putting away all kinds of Ports for him for later on in his life, and that kind of hit home today as he takes this next step in his development as a person. Soon enough it will be other stages in life and eventually that day will come (speedier than I might wish it) that he and I will be opening up the first of his cache of VPs from 2003.

I also had a bunch of bottle ends that helped lubricate the mind and deal with this mixed bag of emotions. I finished the last dregs of the bottles of a Warre 1995 LBV, a Niepoort Ruby (it had sediment!!! :shock:) and a Warre's Otima 20 Year old Tawny. These bottle-ends were great...

They helped make the view later on in the evening even more spectacular. With a fully lubricated mind, I was astonished by the clarity and power of the Northern Lights tonight - first time I have seen them since Spring. What a hauntingly beautiful show they put on tonight - dancing and moving from as far East as I could see to as far West... all to the North and bright as day at times. Greens, blues, whites, violets, purples, and tinges of orange, yellow, scarlet red at times... beautiful. I only wished I had a camera (still or camcorder) that was capable of recording such beauty. It would be awesome to be able to share the awe and beauty of this scenery with all of you.

Todd
Derek T.

Re: Odds 'n Ends...

Post by Derek T. »

Todd Pettinger wrote: a Niepoort Ruby (it had sediment!!! :shock:)
Todd, until recently Niepoort produced an unfiltered ruby from Quinta do Passadouro. I picked up a couple of bottles of this when I was at the Quinta earlier this year. The Quinta is now independant (owned by Jorge Borges?) but still produces the unfiltered ruby.

Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Checked the bottle, no bottling year. No indicator whether or not it was Niepoort's own or originating in Passadouro.

Whatever it was, whereever it came from, it was darned fine Port for what is being called a Ruby. I would bet that had I tasted it blind, I would have rated it higher than many filtered LBVs. Actually, even though it wasn't tasted blind, I would still rate it higher than most filtered LBVs. 8--)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Quinta de la Rosa also makes an unfiltered Ruby Port called Lot 501 that is very good and worth the price if your looking for a Port in that category. I'm sure there are more, but wonder who else makes an unfiltered Ruby Port..I'll post another question as I'm curious about this.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Todd Pettinger wrote:Tonight was a weird night.

I had all sorts of odd thoughts running through my head as my son (and indeed his mother) prepared for his first day of school (kindergarten, so only half days, but monumental in any case). I had all kinds of musings on fatherhood and how much my kids mean to me. I have shared on many occasions how I am putting away all kinds of Ports for him for later on in his life, and that kind of hit home today as he takes this next step in his development as a person. Soon enough it will be other stages in life and eventually that day will come (speedier than I might wish it) that he and I will be opening up the first of his cache of VPs from 2003.

I also had a bunch of bottle ends that helped lubricate the mind and deal with this mixed bag of emotions. I finished the last dregs of the bottles of a Warre 1995 LBV, a Niepoort Ruby (it had sediment!!! :shock:) and a Warre's Otima 20 Year old Tawny. These bottle-ends were great...

They helped make the view later on in the evening even more spectacular. With a fully lubricated mind, I was astonished by the clarity and power of the Northern Lights tonight - first time I have seen them since Spring. What a hauntingly beautiful show they put on tonight - dancing and moving from as far East as I could see to as far West... all to the North and bright as day at times. Greens, blues, whites, violets, purples, and tinges of orange, yellow, scarlet red at times... beautiful. I only wished I had a camera (still or camcorder) that was capable of recording such beauty. It would be awesome to be able to share the awe and beauty of this scenery with all of you.

Todd
Todd , when your mind was fully lubricated , and the Aurora Borealis was dancing , did visions of the Porcelain god appear :twisted:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Luc Gauthier wrote:Todd , when your mind was fully lubricated , and the Aurora Borealis was dancing , did visions of the Porcelain god appear :twisted:
No my friend, the porcelain god did not put in an appearance... I don't think I drank enough for THAT to happen... certainly no "Boston Offline" amount of Port was consumed! :) (As a reference, Moses and Sean prefer a bottle to person ration of at least 1.3:1, whilest 1.5:1 is the preference. 1.75:1 is a goodly amount while 2:1 is not unheard of...) :shock: :winebath:
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Todd , next time you make It to Beantown or Montréal , that theory will be put into practise .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .