Formula 1: What is the point anymore?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Formula 1: What is the point anymore?

Post by Derek T. »

I am posting this here because I know there are a few other F1 fans on :ftlop:

I watched the Belgian F1 GP today. It was a fairly uneventful race until 10-15 laps from the end when it looked like it would rain. Kimi Riekkonen's Ferrari was about 4-5 seconds in front of Lewis Hamilton's McLaren at that point with hamilton gradually eating into that lead.

The it rained with 3 laps to go. Cars skidding off the circuit on slick tires everywhere. Hamilton (the much better driver in wet conditions) caught Kimi in just a few corners. He was much faster than the Ferrari driver at this point but cut a corner to escape an accident. He then let Kimi pass him (which he had to to stay within the rules) but then caught and passed him again at the end of the next straight. Half a lap later Kimi drove his Ferrari into the wall. Hamilton kept the car on the black stuff and won the race. Massa, Kimi's Ferrari partner was nowhere in sight but finished 3rd.

The FIA (F1 governing body) then made the most corrupt and ridiculous decision I have ever seen in any sport. Hamilton was penalised 25 seconds for taking advantage of cutting the corner against a man who subsequently and without interference drove his car into a wall. Massa was awarded the victory.

By pure coincidence this decision kept the F1 drivers championship alive by closing the gap between Hamilton and both Ferrari drivers and ensured that Ferrari stayed well in front in the manufacturers championship. The sponsors will be very pleased.

Did anyone else witness this nonsense?

Derek

Disclaimer: I am, and always have been, a Ferrari fan. This decision was cheating. Nothing more or less than cheating...and Ferrari seem to be behind it. :help:
Adam F

Re: Formula 1: What is the point anymore?

Post by Adam F »

I watched the end of the race when I heard the rain was on, much more entertaining with rain.

Found the decision equally rediculous. A shame for the sport I think given that technical/legal decisions tend to break the link to the punters who watch and ultimately pay for the sport...
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I don't know enough about it to really speak, but I did read an interesting conversation about it and how corrupt it is by the guy(s) who own it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Maybe the point is to make you forget about the bondage hookers? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Glenn E. wrote:Maybe the point is to make you forget about the bondage hookers? :wink:
They are etched on my mind. That off-line at Max Mosley's place last summer will live with me forever :devil: :lol:
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Unbelievable!!!! I'm am (or at least was) a big F1 fan.....but after this last ruling I'm starting to lose interest in the series.

Marc
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

So whats the real story on F1. I've heard it was started, or taken over, many years ago by a rich guy and he basically had all kinds of crazy rules, etc and that many people turned away from it. is that true, or just some hogwash that I read.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Ferrari has F1 by the balls as they had a big winning streak with Schumacher and they create the most revenue out of the bunch. McLaren had their reign in the Senna era. All the Championship prize money is quite secret. Vegas doesn't even take bets on F1 as it is too dificult to bookmake odds; Spa just goes to show you.

I have been a general Ferrari/Schumacher fan for some time, but I want to see McLaren winning; it is justified for them. Hamilton getting stuck in the gravel last season was on purpose. He had to give Ferrari the Championship. Just like Reubens moved over for Schumacher; what kind of sporting event is that? Ron Dennis and Peter Sauber are two I respect. Can't forget Sir Williams of course.

F1 is a Soap Oprea. It is easy to follow as the whole cast is 10 teams with two drivers each and a dozen other personalities; that's it.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I agree with everything that Moses has said above.

I have watched almost every F1 race for the past 20 years. There has always been an element of foul play to keep the series interesting but in recent years it has become so obvious and so invasive that it is now a farce. Ironically, I think what's happening now could well be payback for the Schumacher years. He was so dominant that I am quite sure some deals will have been done with Ferrari to keep the competition interesting so that the sponsors would keep piling in the cash. Schumacher took his fair share of almost inexplicable penalties and mysterious breakdowns to allow lesser drivers to stay in touch but nothing like what is now happening to Hamilton. Now that Schuie is gone Ferrari have two quite average drivers and need some help to keep them at the top of the championship table. I am 100% convinved that McLaren and Hamilton were instructed to throw away the title last year as a punishment for stealing data from Ferrari. They may well have also been told that victory this year was out of reach before the season started. This behind the scenes stuff allows the teams to keep the sponsors and fans happy with the illusion of a real competition while in truth the end result is being decided by the men with the cash.

Is it possible to be sued for telling the truth :help:
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Derek T. wrote:Is it possible to be sued for telling the truth :help:
It is for them in the know, but you are simply speculating, right?!?!?!?! :roll:

I am not, and never have been a fan of car racing. It incenses me when people call car racing a sport and the drivers "athletes." I have a respect for the technical and physical aspect of their jobs: sitting in a cramped cockpit at temperatures I can hardly fathom, let alone stand, are simply amazing. But please do not call them athletes. :Naughty:

Edmonton has a race (formerly Champ car and now part of the IRL, which succeeded in a hostile takeover of Champ Car), the Edmonton Indy. I still have had zero interest in spending good dollars on going to see this race live, despite it being a very short distance and from what I understand, reasonable ticket rates. This money (for me) is better served being saved for a Port expenditure.

Don't get the car racing thing... anyone care to enlighten me on how exactly you watch this stuff and stay ALIVE, never mind awake???
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Hamilton doesn't need a car, he can win on McLaren sneakers.

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Todd Pettinger wrote:Don't get the car racing thing... anyone care to enlighten me on how exactly you watch this stuff and stay ALIVE, never mind awake???
I enjoy the concept of car racing, but don't watch it on TV. (Except for the Indy 500, which is a family tradition.)

Like any sport, I think you have to be attuned to the nuances of the performance in order to enjoy it. For example, I completely don't get soccer. I didn't play it when I was a kid, so I have no real understanding of what's going on. To me it's a bunch of guys running around on a field, apparently in semi-random directions, and once every fortnight or so someone kicks the ball into the net (mostly because, by then, the goalie has fallen asleep). Oh sure, it has been explained to me and so I have an intellectual understanding of the sport, but my heart's just not in it. I don't feel the game as it is being played.

I relate to football, though, and can pick out subtle movements by the players. A well executed play unfolding exactly as planned is exciting because I understand how each player contributed to its success. I feel the thrill of the running back or wide receiver as he breaks into the clear and races for the goal line. I've done that (in grade school, so no I'm not even close to being a professional athlete) so watching others do it at the highest level is exciting.

I get the same enjoyment out of watching volleyball on TV, because I played club ball in college. I can read the plays as they're happening and watch the defenses set up. And I can dream about being able to jump that high. :lol: :help:

I imagine the same is true for racing aficionados with regard to watching it on TV.
Glenn Elliott
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Todd Pettinger wrote:Don't get the car racing thing... anyone care to enlighten me on how exactly you watch this stuff and stay ALIVE, never mind awake???
Todd,

Have you ever been in any kind of race-car or motorcycle on a circuit? If you have and don't enjoy watching racing then it just isn't for you. I guess I am similar to most race fans in that I get a buzz out of going fast myself so can appreciate watching others do it. I enjoy driving, especially if I can do it fast, and love being on go-karts, roller-coasters, motorbikes etc. The speed thing aside there is also a fascination in the technology and the precision with which these guys do what they do. Changing 4 tyres and re-fuelling in less than 7 seconds is a miraculous feat of human co-ordination and teamwork. Driving for 2 hours around the same circuit with other people trying to knock you off the road but lapping within 0.5 seconds from one lap to the next 60-70 times without fail is a skill that only a few in the world have. Race weekend strategy is another fascination for me. When the FIA don't interfere it is interesting to watch how different teams and different drivers within the same teams approach the race in terms of trye choice, fuel load, number of it stops and the choice between setting-up for a good qualifying lap v the best race set-up (which are never the same).

One man's sport is another man's synchronised swimming :wink:

Derek

PS: Oh, and did I forget to mention the hot chicks in the tight shorts and high heels on the starting grid :twisted: