2000 Terra do Zambujeiro

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

2000 Terra do Zambujeiro

Post by Heather Hathwell »

This past weekend with some wine friends I finally opened up this bottle I'd been holding since a trip to Madeira nearly 3 years ago. It is a red wine from the Alentejo region (along with Douro, my favorite in Portugal), the second label of Quinta do Zambujeiro. 15% alcohol. Cepage is Trincadeira and Castelao. Leave it to me to buy Alentejo in Funchal!

It seemed to hit its stride after about an hour in the decanter. Color was medium garnet and it had a really beautiful nose. Earthy, slightly smoky. It was fairly big wine but typical of the region from what I have tasted, slightly extracted, with tobacco, coffee, truffle, cassis, dried cherries, very slight hints of chocolate. Medium long finish. Overall about 91 points. Wouldn't mind finding this one again.

On another note, this was followed by a 2005 Quinta dos Roques from the Dao region. For me, absolutely UNdrinkable. More like a fruit roll passed through a cow pattie. :shock: Maybe it would be different after time, but I won't be waiting.