Archive

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Tom Archer

Archive

Post by Tom Archer »

I regard this site as a good substitute for the notebook that I should have ( but never did... :cry: ) keep.

Lest something goes badly wrong with this site, can we set in place a simple mechanism whereby some of the regular contributors keep backup copies of all submissions made - preferably in an automated manner so that data can be saved to contributors' hard disks without much effort?

I'm sure Roy does this already, but it would be prudent to keep copies in far flung locations - the world is full of surprises.....

Tom
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Actually Tom, once Stewart gets the "new" website up, I will no longer keep a backup copy of my TNs on my hard drive or a seperate portal. But your advice is very sound, as I had almost six years of tasting notes (not just Port!) disappear when the old AOL wine message boards changed in 2000 and without notice, dumped their archives without notice and I was in their employ at the time (a Community Leader).

I was furious and never posted a TN there ever again, after having been the "Port guy" and written a wine newsletter for AOL "Much Ado About Grape" since 1995, which also mysteriously disappeared with their undisclosed software change. I had also hosted a weekly "live wine chat" there and left to do so for Robin Garr's site from 2000 to 2005. The AOL archive experience was what led me to head over to the eRobert Parker/Mark Squires' site in May of 2002. So, I learned a lesson that I'll never forget, because I didn't have a backup of my TNs.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

So what's the best way to back up the site?

The data on the site is not sufficiently accessible for me to copy, other than by copying and pasting every page of every thread, which is not practical.

Presumably, all the topics, threads and posts are arranged in a conventional directory structure, which the software then translates into the presentation format we see on screen.

Could that directory be periodically copied to CD and mailed out? - or even emailed??

What's the total file size of all the posts to date?

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I guess you'll have to patiently wait for Stewart to chime in. But I can tell you for sure, that nobody on our end is going to be making and mailing out CD copies for members here, because I doubt you could afford them. :roll:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

because I doubt you could afford them
Hmm..

While the data archive this site is creating is of academic interest, I can't see anyone, ever, paying to access it.

OK, there are a few wine sites where pretentious fools pay to play, but why, I really don't know. I can't see the Port fraternity following suit.

I had always assumed your commercial interest was limited to tourism..

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

It just goes to show that Derek is right again. He correctly maintains that the US and UK senses of humor are very very different except on rare occasions.

I was totally just kidding about the cost of paying for the information on CD and alluding to the fact that it would be such a hassle, we'd have to charge a zillion dollars to make it worth the time and effort ... which it is not, at least for Stewart or me. In other words, go make your own copies everyone.

I hope that explains it better.

As to your comment on the commercial interest of the FTLOP site, let's just say that nothing lasts FREE forever. The time, effort and expense of hosting the website, paying for wines reviewed and trips to do so, come at a considerable cost, not to mention Stewart's time which is not free either.

However, that does not mean there will ever be a cost to use this Forum and I can guarantee that will NEVER happen!

Nor does it obviate the possibility of making offerings of Port related items like glassware, adding an advertisement someday or even charging for the newsletter or other measures to sustain the website and newsletter in the future. But for now, none of these are taking place, so this is a moot point shared for the sake of clarity.