Updating profile

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Until further notice this post is my profile

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:OK. Until further notice this post is my profile.

Julian D. A. Wiseman
New York (mostly) and Sussex (a bit: my father hosts my cellar)
Email address and telephone numbers
‘Port home page’ (which also explains my avatar)
Julian,

Umm, can I get two forms of I.D. please, can't be too careful these days :wink: :lol: :P
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Can I ask a couple of minor technical questions that highlight my limitations.
If I want to download an image, it says [img]http://image_url[/img] (alt+p).
What does all that mean? And will it take moving icons. I have a little favourite icon that is bigger than a Emoticon and I'm at a loss as to how to put it in the post, or cant I?
Alan.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

IMG tags

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

As far as I can tell, you can’t upload pictures to the bulletin board. You store them somewhere (on your own website? plenty of places do free hosting) and then the IMG tag points to where the image is stored.

The image you store can have moving parts — it can be any image. But moving pictures are very distracting, some say annoying, for those trying to read text, so it is widely thought that less is more.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Thanks. I'll ask one of my kids to get the crayons and paper out, and explain the simple instructions you've just given me to Mr Prehistoric!
Alan
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Small, not moving => I'll store it

If the image is small, and without moving parts, I can host it pro tem on my website. (But you have to get it to me today: I'm on a plane tomorrow.)
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Julian,
thanks for the offer, but I've now lost the Avatar I started with. I'm ok, and I've decided to leave well alone. Hope your going somewhere nice.
Alan
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alan,

do upload a small pic into a post is somewhat easy (hey, if my computer illiterate arse can do it, so can you).

Step one: the pic has to be hosted by a web based company (such as Flickr, yahoo, etc. its those places you download your personal pics too...or you use a pic you found on the internet already)

Step 2: Get the url (i think that is what it is called) by holdiong down the shift key and the right click your mouse. You get some options. click on "copy image location"

Step 3: Then go back to your post and press the "Ctrl" key and "V" key at the same time.... you get something that looks like this

http://www.wineintro.com/labels/portugal/dow.jpg

(make sure it ends in "jpg" (if not delete what comes after jpg)

Step 4: Then highlight the link and press the image ("img") icon

press preview before you submit and you should see it. and the above link should look like this

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Andy,
Thanks for that. And can I say that was hard work for me. My kids would have done it in seconds. Anyway, this is the long suffering Deborah, who will give me a thick ear if she knows I'm posting one of her pictures, but never mind. It should be slightly more pleasing on the eye than me in my yellow Speedo's.
I feel like I've entered the Technilogical Age!

Alan
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Hurray! Well done.

Hurray! Well done.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Cheers Julian,
and although its mixing Posts, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this '31' at the Fine Wine Experience Do in London. With you all raving about it, I'm going to Google my head off, and see what its all about. Just so I can be a little more envious,
Alan.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

tried again to update my profile

FWLIW, today I tried again to update my profile. The computer still hates me.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

I shaved. I showered.

I shaved. I showered. Plenty of non-smelly deodorant was applied. I haven’t been rude to anybody all day. The head of HR said that I should get a job as a stand-up comic. Yet the computer still hates me. Such is life.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Ah, I see this thread is still alive. That's good, because I'm still two persons. I like to be only "Ronald Wortel" but sometimes I need to transform myself into the action figure "Ronnie Roots. It's not that I want to, but it's the only way to use my super powers (read: FTLOP PP goodies). This mess started when I wanted to update my profile. I used to have ronnieroots as login name with Ronald Wortel as screen name. When I tried to update my profile with the transfer to the new site, I somehow split into two. I don't know how I did it, but I did. I really only want to be myself, but I also want to have access to Roy's tasting notes and pdf-downloads. Would it be possible to merge my two profiles into one "Ronald Wortel" profile? TIA.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

The most amusing thing about this, the Amazing RonnieRoots and his Technicolor Purple Teeth, is that this is listed as Author: RonnieRoots, last post by Ronald Wortel. Tee hee. All done without a telephone box and your Y-Fronts over your tights.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

It's a gift. I can be you too.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronald Wortel wrote:It's a gift. I can be you too.
A little medication may cure your split personality :wink: :lol: :lol:
Julian D. A. Wiseman

split personality

That split personality might be the problem I had (thread).