Sounding like a broken record ...

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Sounding like a broken record ...

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well actually there was one, a broken record that is.

By the numbers ...

As of this morning, we had more posts by the 21st of the month, than ALL posts in ANY previous full month of the Forum. Approximately a 30% increase over any single month in the year and a half in which FLTOP exists. Plus, we still have a full week left in this shortened month. Amazing!

Plus if you look at the average number of posts since our inception, it is under 25 per day. So far this month, we've averaged 40. The even better news is that my % of posts is at the all time lowest point and is below the 1:6 ratio that I try to never exceed. :D

Thank you!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

You don't have time for all this - have you finished the latest web updates and the March Newsletter already? :lol: :lol:

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Roy,
great to see things are improving and that your pleased with it. Can I suggest that as an administrator, you continue to encourage the Forum to be all inclusive. Of course you need the occassional rule and maybe a wrap across the knuckles, but what I've been impressed with, in my limited membership, is the opportunity to learn without feeling intimidated . I fully acknowledge there are people decades ahead of me in their expertise, but I have felt welcome and able to ask questions. In many walks of life, you need a degree of expertise and experience, alongside a desire to educate the willing. Add a splash of comradery and intelligent exploration...well, thats enough praise...dont want you having trouble getting that head of yours through the door frames.
Alan :D
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Don't worry Alan, it is my stomach that I have to worry about getting through doorways, as my head remains at a fairly steady size.

FYI, it is my personal mission to keep this website "nonsense free" in terms of the type of carrying on, making fun of others, holier than though, high octane testosterone, I have a bigger cellar so you can't possibly be right 'tude, you are a beginner so your opinion is invalid etc., that takes place on many other interactive wine related BB or Forum.

If I had to point to the greatest achievement of this entire FORUM over the first year and a half, it would easily be the warm and welcoming feeling BY & FOR ALL participants. I have almost never (less than 10x in 13,000 posts) had to delete posts on this Forum, so I don't take the credit for this success. It is solely the users who come back and seemingly enjoy spending time here, sharing and learning together!

As for that guy Derek's question:

I have six or seven pages of about 30 proposed for the next newsletter. I get slower as I get older. Of course I am not letting the planning of:

a. a Hanzell Pinot Noir tasting for April, here
b. A bordeaux tasting tomorrow night here in Seattle
c. A great Madeira tasting in 3 weeks in DC
d. A Taylor vs. Fonseca vertical back 7-9 decades in March in Florida
e. A Symington Port tasting of two horizontals in March - Vancouver
f. CdP tasting at my home on Monday
g. Two trips to Port and Madeira in May

None of this is getting in the way of my progress on the newletter. :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Now that February is officially over, as long as we're talking about broken records ...

In a 28 day short month, we broke the all-time FORUM record of just over 800 posts in a 31 day period. This past month, we reached 1075 posts as of midnight, which is quite remarkable and about 300 posts above our typical monthly average.

THANK YOU ALL !!!

Now that I have finished off TNs for my section of the upcoming newsletter ... it is time for a cat nap. :roll:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,

Sleep's Cheap....now get back to work :wink: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am don't worry.
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

we need a whip-cracking smiley/emoticon :twisted:
akira
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

sounding like a broken record

Post by dave leach »

roy,
as someone who has worked in the music business all my life and broken a few records--i have one word for you on ftlop's february successes--BRAVISSIMO!!!!!!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks David. Unbelievably ... Since midnight last night or 18.5 hours ago, we've had 115 posts. What is going on here? Up through January, 23 was the average per day.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,

i think Derek, Alan, and I may be to blame....sorry for our foolishness.....NOT :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

this is 117 :lol: :lol:
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Andy V. wrote:Roy,

i think Derek, Alan, and I may be to blame....sorry for our foolishness.....NOT :lol: :lol: :lol:
Foolishness , you say ! Rubbish . . . Siliness maybe

The peanut butter guy
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Luc,
Surely you will allow us our 'jeunesse avant vintage' when it comes to humour. :joker:
Alan
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

No problem , Alan , humour knows no bounds , however warped :wink:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I wonder if we have broken any more records while Roy has been away. Most postings in a week, perhaps?

Most postings while Roy's been away?
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Don't know if we've established any new standards , but if we have , lets celebrate :winepour:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Without question the most posts in any single half month ever. Even blowing away last month's record pace. Incredible. Then again, there are far less Port specific posts ... but I'll forgive your indiscretions while I am in absentia (racking up new tasting notes for the future :roll: ).

Tonight the debauchery begins with the Taylor/Fonseca dueling verticals. The good news ... 48 hours of internet connectivity (although 40 hours of drinking wine sadly leaves little time for on-line time). I can hear the sighs of sympathy in the background.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Roy,
At my Club, we have a Main Lounge and a Members Lounge. The Main Lounge is five times the size of the Members Lounge and vibrant and full of life. Standards of dress are more relaxed and its a pleasure to walk in and see smiling faces. Your always offered a drink before you sit down. People are forgiven their inexperience and its a great place to learn about the Club, as well as talk about life.
The Members lounge, is Members only, jacket and tie after 7pm. Wooden panneling and old loungers in front of open fires. The bar staff know never to confirm your presence, until they've asked you wether your 'In'. Its a place for serious debate and to get away from noise and commotion. Only those with high standards of etiquette and knowledge feel comfortable there. Its usually empty.

Now I suspect you can see where I'm going. The Members Lounge is a lovely traditional place, that people respect and want to continue. I myself love the occassional visit. But without the Main Lounge it would die on its feet, or at the least, it would struggle and lose its relevance.
I can see parrallels with our great forum. It would not be a bad thing to discourage humour and irreverance in one section, for those who are purists, and are irritated by such antics. But I would suggest that 'Non Port specific posts and subjects', administrated properly, are what makes many log in so often. I love Port, and still consider myself a novice. I find it great that I can inter-act with newly found friends and see how they doing, and the conversation usually starts off with, or returns to Port issues somewhere along the line.

You've set up a great forum, and you can guide it in whichever way you see fit, but while I'm staring at my Offleys 63, waiting for it to settle(thanks for the advice Derek, but its doing my head in!) after its recent journey from Toms house to mine,with the Royal Mail, I thought I'd throw my tuppence worth in.

Alan
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote: Tonight the debauchery begins with the Taylor/Fonseca dueling verticals....I can hear the sighs of sympathy in the background.
Just bring home some leftovers for us kids to have :lol: