Why do we allow lurkers to hide?

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Why do we allow lurkers to hide?

Post by Derek T. »

Stewart/Roy,

I was just checking who was online and noticed that the Forum was reporting:

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 Registered, 1 Hidden and 1 Guest

What are Hidden and Guest users types used for and why do we allow these categories to exist on the site? We very often claim to be the most open and friendly Forum on the web but it doesn't seen right to me that some users can browse the site without revealing who they are.

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Derek,

As you know, I'm relatively new, and although I'm not disagreeing with you, in my limited time, I personally have encountered a situation, where there may be a good reason for someone being hidden.
To give you an abstract example, imagine if we had Suckling as a member, and he wanted to see what we talked about and thought, aned was willing to chip in on occasions, but most of the time, didn't want to be pestered by well meaning folk bombarding him with questions. Although Roy puts his head above the parapet and will field questions, I'd rather have the facility were people (like my bad example) can enjoy our forum in a slightly reserved way, than not at all.
But again, I agree with your general thrust.

Alan.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Guests will be anonymous by default. You can't expect people to sign up just to take a look. If we didn't allow guests to lurk then they would not know what the point of the site was or how good it was.

I'm just going to go and hide now.

How do you do that by the way?
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Ale-x
If you go on the home page, and then go to your profile, you can press the edit box. Go to Forum Profile and theres an option to hide your on-line status....But Dont!!!
Al
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan,

If "Guest" means "someone who isn' a member and is just brousing the site" then I agree with you. However, if Guest means "a famous person who has been given a secret login so we don't know he is there" then I don't think I do agree with that.

I don't think the "Hidden" option should be generally available. If a famous person, or anyone else, wants to brouse the forum unnoticed then all they have to do is log out :?

Derek
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Derek,
Fair enough, you probably know more than me about this, but how would that mythical person then go into Roys Tasting Notes,etc.
I presume you'd rather just have members and guests, and its just the hidden that irritates you.
Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan,

Lots of things irritate me, but that's another story :wink:

But, yes, it is the Hidden concept that I don't like. Unregistered members cannot view the premium content (TN's ect) and we have no way of knowing if these are first time browsers, unregistered lurkers or members not logged in. This just goes with the territory on the WWW.

Hiding intentionally on the other hand is something I would prefer to leave to policeman sneaking in the back door of puds blagging a free Malt after closing time - Hiding on a open and friendly Forum just doesn't seem right, for a policeman, James Suckling or George W Bush :shock:

Incidentally, GWB is already banned from FTLOP for life :wink:
Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

There have been a couple of occasions when I have logged in and "hidden". These are times when I have been swamped by other things and I'm way behind in reading new threads and postings. If I can, I will just browse the forum as a guest so that I don't lose the ability to "read message since last visit" but if I want to access the Tasting Notes then I need to log in.

I'm not staying hidden for any particular sinister reason, I just want to be able to duck in and out real quick.

But if the hidden option were to be taken away, I wouldn't be too unhappy.

Alex
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

The way the peanut butter guy sees it , exchange of info between port enthousiasts is number 1 .
The hidden guests also get some info without actively taking part .
Some , no doubt feel the're not up to the task of engaging in port siliness .
As in society , some are uneasy at expressing thier opinion in public . FTLOP can be considered as a microcosom of society :blah:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As in society , some are uneasy at expressing thier opinion in public . FTLOP can be considered as a microcosom of society
That is one very scary thought!

Honestly, I don't know of any users (with ONE exception) that have been given privileges to remain anonymous. You may not like that, but I have my reasons which shall remain unmentioned as promised.

Otherwise, it is either laziness, expeditious, a first time visitor or regular lurkers who are not ready to share due to intimidation or other factors. We continue to see the number of participants and posters grow slowly and steadily so I would not be too concerned. Many regulars started out as lurkers. In good time people start to feel more comfortable here and come out of the shadows and become integral members of the community.

Keep it friendly and they shall come.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Roy , the peanut butter guy shares your perception . . .

Comparing the FTLOP to the global village is Port for thought . . .
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

As much as I would to know who is online at all times, I understand the need for some to lurk before they get comfortable posting. I know I lurked for a long time on another wine forum before my first post.

As for hidden people, for the average person, no I don't think they should be hidden. However, for some people, by the nature of their profession (what ever that may be), it is very difficult to lead a public life and being hidden can allow them to enjoy ALL that the site has to offer without the hoopla of their name showing up.

A double edge sword, yes, but sometimes a double edge sword is needed.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Double edged swords for all lurkers - now there's an idea I like :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - just kidding :wink:

Perhaps I am reading too much into the name, but I do think there are other ways for people to remain annonymous on this or any other site rather than checking a "hide me" box. Why not just register under a different name or pose as a Guest?

Intentionally hiding whilst letting everyone know that your doing it just isn't right :?

Derek

PS: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me :shock:
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Derek,

You made a well reasoned, fair point.
I was willing to have it, but the herd went against you on this one.
Come back to the fold and fight from within, I told you, you were an informative sod! You just cant win every battle... :) :D :lol:

Alan
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote: Why not just register under a different name or pose as a Guest?
Cause that is against the rules to use a different name, unless you are named Al, Al-d, and the like :P
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

See Roy , I was right , FTLOP is a microcosm of society , we accept , with open arms the following : peanut butter lovers
men of humour
and
the paranoid
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Now you're all ganging up on me - good god I was right all along :shock:

Roy, can I hide in your cellar wrapped in tinfoil with a loaded gun, 300 years worth of tinned food and a CB radio?

Derek (I think :? )
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Don't despair Derek , the peanut butter & Port guy is harmless , unless he forgets to take his medication .

I know I'm forgeting something . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

What ... no corkscrew and straw? :roll:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Derek Turnbull wrote:Now you're all ganging up on me - good god I was right all along :shock:

Roy, can I hide in your cellar wrapped in tinfoil with a loaded gun, 300 years worth of tinned food and a CB radio?

Derek (I think :? )
What , no night vision glasses & peanut butter !!! :shock: