Website Updates

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

:wall:

Very disappointing to read the use of the past tense in the above response from you, Roy.

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

gentlemen..."Don't make me pull this boat over" :Naughty:

Might I recommend putting a period or comma between your first and last name. this would prevent someone from googling your name and finding it, as the period or comma would interupt the search based on spelling.

Example: John.Doe or John,Doe :scholar:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Ok, I hope I have this right...

Those on the government payroll in the UK are not allowed to publish ANYTHING - however unrelated to their work - without first getting the text cleared.

This rule pre-dates the era of casual internet forums, and their seems to be an acceptance that it's OK to participate without clearance, provided you stay off-topic as far as work is concerned, and don't use your real name.

If I have this wrong, then I hope Alan will send me a missive to correct me, but I suspect his reason to duck out is that Roy's real names policy is at odds with his contract of employment..

Right now we have posts appearing with no name at all, and the site often doesn't seem to know if I'm logged in or not, forcing me to log out and then log in again - which is a pain..

Any chance of re-setting the site back to where it was a month or so ago - while you work out how to make the changes work???

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I like toms idea. Put things back to where it all worked and take some time to give due consideration to the issues before implementing something that doesn't seem to have much support from the members of this forum. Please?

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The policy has only been discussed at this point. You will certainly know when it has been finalized as it will be publicly posted for all to see with a given time frame for compliance.

As mentioned, for two years this has been a "core issue" and therefore a REAL NAMES policy will be implemented.

I am exploring some "options" and will make a decision before posting the policy sometime this coming week.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have read them all and have taken them into consideration.

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Like a smoking bulldog lurking, I have a feeling we'll see Alan back here by the end of the week. :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Is the two-names policy now official?

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Is the two-names policy now official (“Roy Hersh (Roy Hersh)”), because if so I’ll attempt to tamper with my profile?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Julian and others:

I promise that when the new policy is posted and effective, you will ALL know it. It may go up as early as today.

Stewart was just checking out the software when this took place and it is not how the new policy has been structured.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

put more than one suggested new policy in a thread

One possibility would be to put more than one suggested new policy in a thread, and ask for informed comment on their relative merits. It allows one to be better warned of various constraints, such as those faced by employees of Her Majesty.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Sorry Julian, the new policy has already been finalized and posted. It goes into full effect on 6/1/07.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Posted here

Roy Hersh wrote:posted
Here. Effective date 1st June 2007 it seems, though the enforcement dates looks like being a couple of weeks later. And it might even address Alan C.’s problem.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Gentlemen,

Its Good to be Back!!!!

Thanks for your efforts, particularly Roy and Stewart. I hope you dont regret it as our friendly debate and exchange of knowledge(Mostly one way mind!) re-commences. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Great news, thanks Roy :wink:

Pity it made Alan come back :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

I'm actually smoking a Cuban Partagas 10 Cigar as I post. So I think my Avatar is as close to real life as its going to get.

There's a little irony in the names shown on everyones Posts but I presume we're building up to the 1st June.

Alan
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Names and smokes

Yes, I’m wondering about the names currently being shown (and hence collected by Google to store in its cache).

Meanwhile, a cigar is an excellent plan for this evening. Hmmm. Partagas Lusitania for me. Great idea.
Last edited by Julian D. A. Wiseman on Wed May 30, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan,

You made me look twice then, I had thought that was a real picture of you, until I noticed that the ears are too small :?

Derek

Fixing the real names

Post by Guest »

The real names are appearing right now, but should go away next to your posts as soon as I make a couple of programming adjustments.

Stewart
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Cheers Stew. :salute: