FTLOP's Real Names/Location Policy

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

FTLOP's Real Names/Location Policy

Post by Roy Hersh »

After listening to lots of disparate views and taking into account all of the suggestions, ideas, schemes and dreams … I’d like to thank all of those FTLOP Forum users who expressed an opinion. Decisions have been finalized and the Real Names Policy will be firmly in place as of June 1st 2007.

In order to protect our Forum community, it is essential that we incorporate a REAL NAMES policy. It was my desire to have this in place before we opened the website to the public. By necessity, it is being launched at this time and will remain in force, henceforth.

By protecting our Forum participants, we have taken precautions not only against those that would use access to our guests for less than honorable intentions; but also to protect our registered members against the invasion of their privacy. One of the most important modifications we’ve undertaken is to ensure that ONLY registered members of the website have access to user profiles from now on. This preempts attempts to gain access to personal information through the use of search engines, such as Google, or by unauthorized “lurkers.”

Here are the new and simple parameters of the policy:

• As of June 1st 2007, ALL FTLOP Forum participants are responsible for including their entire REAL first and last name in their User Profile. Again, this can not be seen by anyone who is not a registered user on the FTLOP website, nor captured by a search engine.

• A Forum users are now required to use their real name, or a form of it, as their "USERNAME"
a. The username must be in one of the following formats: "Roy Hersh", "R. Hersh", or "Roy H." with or without punctuation.
b. The username may not just be a single word.
c. The username should have some relationship to your real name.
(This clause brought up-to-date with current policy on 5/20/2014)

• For those that desire to use their “moniker” or “nickname” (i.e. Port Fanatic) in order to be recognizable to persons from other websites etc., they may do so, by incorporating this into their Signature field which follows below every post.

It is a requirement for all participants to include the country in which they reside, directly into their user profile. We would appreciate (but won’t mandate) that our users also include the State (if in the USA), Province (if in Canada) or City, if anywhere else. There are many reasons for this so I’ll just include one example: other users on the Forum can provide better advice about a retailer in your area or help you to locate a specific wine or discuss price, with greater acuity.

• By June 15th 2007, we’ll send an email reminder to any active Forum participant who has not embraced the aforementioned parameters. A week after those emails are sent, we’ll have to suspend the FTLOP account of anyone who hasn’t updated their profiles with the appropriate information, until they do so.

Thank you for your cooperation in updating your profile and helping Stewart Todd and me to insure that the FTLOP remains one of the most fun, safe and user-friendly wine Forums anywhere! Should you have any questions about this policy, please email me.

Sincerely,

Roy Hersh
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com