2005 Vintage Port

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2005 Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

Does anyone have a serious desire to have a vintage report on the 2005 VPs and if so, would anybody seriously consider buying into the vintage?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Roy

I would certainly be interested in the lowdown on 2005, and might buy into it depending on the results....I have not had the opportunity to try any of them myself as of yet.

Jay
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Now Jay, I know you tried a couple of 2005's...wait the port haze was in full effect by then :drunk:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Re: 2005 Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Does anyone have a serious desire to have a vintage report on the 2005 VPs and if so, would anybody seriously consider buying into the vintage?
Sure, it is always good to get a yearly review of the goods, as I am sure I will get a few bottles here and there if the price is right.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Andy V. wrote:Now Jay, I know you tried a couple of 2005's...wait the port haze was in full effect by then :drunk:
Well, maybe a little Port haze was in effect. Looking back at my notes I see Niepoort and Quinta do Vale Donna Maria tated as cask samples......but at that point it was not possible for me to make much of a judgement. I do recall I thought they were very nice, but how are they now?

Jay
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes Roy, "how are they now" is the question....so start drinking those samples and let us know how they are.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I plan to buy at least a couple of cases - likely of the Niepoort if I can get my hands on it. My daughter was born in 2005, so she needs a case of birthyear VP. Of course, dad will need at minimum, one case as well. ;) :cool:

Other than the Niepoort actual Vintage release, and the Taylor and Fonseca off-year declarations (is this the proper term for a non-generally declared year from these larger producers where they are not releasing a SQVP?), what other options will be available to the consumer?

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ok, I'll wait to hear from a few others, but it seems so far like at least a few folks want to read about the 2005s. I appreciate your responses!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Adam F

Post by Adam F »

Being a Niepoort fan I will buy in and would be interested in your thoughts.

In the UK I have seen one offer.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've had the Niepoort a couple of times (including a bottle consumed over 3 days) along with a dozen others so far. Without getting ahead of myself, I'll just say the Niepoort is in a very different style than 2000 and 2003, however I liked it quite a bit. :lick:
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I'll just say the Niepoort is in a very different style than 2000 and 2003
That's what I found as well. I thnk I prefer the 2000 and 2003 over the 2005 Niepoort, but that's not to say that the 2005 isn't a good port or worth buying. Another 2005 I was very much impressed with is the Quinta do Vale D. Maria. Their best effort so far IMO, and I liked it better than the Niepoort.
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

I would be very interested as it is the birthyear of my daughter as well, just like Todd. I have always trusted and valued your (Roy) ability to try young ports as a guide for my buying.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I'm interested in reading a review of the 2005 releases. I will probably buy the Vesuvio en primeur to keep my vertical going but will likely not buy any other wines from this year until they ship to the UK.

But its always good to know if there are others I should seriously consider adding to this list of "must haves". The Croft 2003 comes to mind here.

Alex
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Hi Roy

I think it would be great if you did a 2005 review, clearly when it is a general declaration reviews are far and wide, not so in years where few declare. I thought the review of 2004 was excellent. From what I have tasted of the 2005 so far I have enjoyed the Niepoort, Pintas and Dona Maria.

Thanks
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Christopher,

The 2005s I've enjoyed with you in 2006 and 2007 were an interesting and diverse lot. There are enough people that get to try barrel or cask samples of pre-released VPs, but few who truly understand where the wines are heading. You "get it" and I admire your passion and palate.

Your post has provided me with the final impetus to actually take on the project. I will need a third visit and some more sample bottles before I will actually scribe my impressions, but I will do the 2005 report later this year.

Thanks, and a pleasure to see your post here. Stay out of the shadows and add your Port wisdom when you can find the time!

Roy