REALITY CHECK

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

REALITY CHECK

Post by Roy Hersh »

It has been too long ... any changes that you'd like to see?

Anything we need to add or subtract?

We try to keep an open mind, so please feel free to add your 2 cents of what we can do to make this a better place to be?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Picture gallery, perhaps of bottles, cellars, etc...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Moses Botbol wrote:Picture gallery, perhaps of bottles, cellars, etc...
How about a pictures gallery with pre-defined topics where everyone could upload there pictures with small coments.

So we could make a restaurant, wine shop, lodges, vineyards galleries. I think it would be great for the community to find information with a quick view of it.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Excellent suggestion, although this is not new. Stewart and I already have this is in the works.

What else, think long and hard and pretend it is Christmas. :lol: ho, ho, ho
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

The recent post of "Who has been more accurate in their reviews" and the ensuing discussion of who you trust and look to for TN and views of Port got me to thinking about the TN section and the addition of a searchable database of all posted TN's. I noticed that people on the forum trust other forumites for TN's and guidance.

I really love your searchable TN database, Roy. I find it helpful in guiding purchases, checking a particularly peculiar TN of my own to yours, and of course dreaming of one day tasting some of the grand daddy's from your list myself!

But you are one man, and despite your depth and breadth of tasting, your time and liver can only do so many. Also in my short time on the forum, I have noticed that many posts are from folks who wonder what they have found in their cellar, or at their retailer, or at auction , and many are asking about maturity, decanting times, and drinking windows. If it 's not in your database, I know many folks don't search the site and also, searching the site is a bit time consuming for each individual wine as you have to scroll thru each topics thread to find the answer or make sense of the discussion.

It would be cool if the TN section for posts had some pre-established boxes to fill in such as Port type (VP, Tawny, Colh, LBV, etc) Vintage, Producer, date tasted and maybe scoring, and then the area for text and notes. Then maybe the TN posts get automatically dumped into a searchable and pre-arranged database just as yours is now, where the database is listed under the same headings as yours (Vintage, Producer, Wine, Rating, and Date Tasted) with maybe an additional column of the tasters name, and the ability to open up detailed notes.

This way all the collective tasting knowledge gets put into one very valuable place that is easily searched?

Just a thought! You said, pretend it was Christmas!!!! :lol:
Scott Anaya
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Roy Hersh wrote:Excellent suggestion, although this is not new. Stewart and I already have this is in the works.

What else, think long and hard and pretend it is Christmas. :lol: ho, ho, ho
Well if it was Christmas, I'd like to see my Douropedia project happen :lol:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Frederick, that is easy! Just go ahead and make it happen. But I don't see what that has to do with a FTLOP wish list. :wink:

Todd,

Yours is not the first request for this. I will be happy to make this happen at some point. It is on my list of things to get done here, albeit there are quite a few things that are of higher priority to the site's longevity at the moment. Nonetheless, this will become part of the greater good here on FTLOP. That I can assure you!

Right now we're trying to put to bed three or four new items (including entire new sections for the FTLOP) some of which will be revolutionary.

Two of the four will be implemented in 2007, while two will be in early to mid-2008.

My sincere thanks Todd, for an excellent and well thought out idea.
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

Hi Santa

I'd like to see a database of prices paid for ports. I know it would be hard to compare, but if you included parameters like country, purchase form (restaurant, auction, retail etc) buy month/year and standardized the currency to e.g. USD it could be quite usefull. You could make a form all users could input data into whenever they felt like sharing a buy with others. I think it'd be cool to lookup some prices before I buy port for comparison. It would also be nice to know what to go for if you're on vacation somewhere else.

-Lars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Santa

I'd like to see a database of prices paid for ports. I know it would be hard to compare, but if you included parameters like country, purchase form (restaurant, auction, retail etc) buy month/year and standardized the currency to e.g. USD it could be quite usefull. You could make a form all users could input data into whenever they felt like sharing a buy with others. I think it'd be cool to lookup some prices before I buy port for comparison. It would also be nice to know what to go for if you're on vacation somewhere else.

-Lars

I like this idea, although differentiation between a price database specifically for Ports would be very beneficial, I would think that if we were to embrace the idea, it would have to include Douro wines and Madeira as well.

Beyond the specific venue chosen to purchase the 3 wine types, I need you (and others of course) to explain to me what you view as the primary benefits over using winesearcher.com or other price referenced databases.

In fact, I will start a seperate thread for this purpose.

Great suggestion, so let's now explore the upside first and then what specific parameters folks would like it to have, then we will work on production.

It is ideas like this that will keep the FTLOP in the forefront and I very much appreciate your new suggestion. Please emial me your mailing address.
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

Hi Roy

I don't know winesearcher that well but as far as I can see, it only includes some wine shops in the different countries. Also it would be fun to see what people have paid for port (and other wines) historically, so I could see what you paid for Fonseca VP 1994 when you bought it in 1997 and then compare it what the price is in my shop (or winesearcher) today.

-Lars
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

reality check

Post by dave leach »

i'm not sure what historical prices will really prove. all great wine comes out, gets snapped up, and if the vintage proves to be a great one, prices continue to escalate. 1982 lafite came out at $80 or whatever, it costs $1400 now. 1994 fonseca had a release price of $50 or something, but try and find it for less than $100.

what would be useful is an up to date index of what we are all CURRENTLY paying for our ports, especially those with age. either at auction, but with the buyers premium included, or online/retail. i've been harping at roy that this particular forum should be for that, and get a reputable dealer to get in bed with us, pass along good deals, special offerings, etc.

release prices are just the beginning to the price trail of a port's life. i want to know where i can get the best deals on the port i want to collect/drink NOW, AND I'D LOVE TO SEE IT HAPPEN HERE!!

dave
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

And so it will be. I have found a willing collaborator. :lol:
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

reality check

Post by dave leach »

please roy--DO TELL!!

dave