[SOLVED] Personal Messages Problem

This forum is for providing feedback on the Website.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

I tried to respond to a PM (just after the upgrade) and it didn't get sent. It ended up in my 'Outbox' (where it still sits).
Not sure if it's a bug or I accidentally hit a wrong key (I attempted to 'send' as usual).
Either way, it still sits in my Outbox - how do I despatch it?
Thanks,
Alan
Richard Henderson

Re: Personal Messages Problem

Post by Richard Henderson »

Alan. I think you sent me a PM and I can't even FIND the Pm's on the new site. i think it has a lot of bugs.
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Richard,

Sorry, this is not a bug. I sent you an email to explain exactly where it is. Pretty straightforward. I also sent you my home phone number and told you that I'd walk you through it. So why not just call me and I will be happy to help you see it clearly.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

I have noticed some delays in PMs leaving the outbox. One I sent took about 30 mins before I noticed it had finally been sent.

I am looking into this.
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Ok - I did some research on this issue, and it didn't take me long to find the answer..

Messages will remain in your OUTBOX until the recipient reads it, after which time it is sent to your SENT box.

My two cents is this isn't ENTIRELY intuitive, as we are all used to email where the OUTBOX is a place where the message sits for milliseconds as it processes the message, before it moves to the SENT folder.

The rational behind the this decision is ostensibly to allow the sender to edit or delete the PM up to the time the recipient reads it. Love it or hate it, that's how this PM system works right now.

Mystery solved.
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Richard Henderson wrote:Alan. I think you sent me a PM and I can't even FIND the Pm's on the new site. i think it has a lot of bugs.
Yes, indeed the message is/was for you.
As the subsequent info in this thread states - it sits in my outbox until you access it.

AND it took me several attempts (over a few days) to figure out how to send it anyway. Had to re-sign in (even though the system recognized me) before the PM options showed up (just ahead of the index page on any Board).
I'm hoping you got it - and am documenting here how I finally got it to work so that others can also follow this route (as necessary).
Alan

PS The message is still sitting in my outbox (presumably waiting for you to 'find' it).
Richard Henderson

Re: [SOLVED] Personal Messages Problem

Post by Richard Henderson »

For anyone else with the issue of PM access , it seems if you are logged in for reasons not clear you have to log out and then log back in and the PM notice appears. I think that is a bug Roy. I mean it is new and I can be cranky about change but that is not readily apparent.
Richard Henderson
Alan Gardner

Re: [SOLVED] Personal Messages Problem

Post by Alan Gardner »

And indeed the message has now gone from my 'outbox' and is in the 'Sent' Folder.
Thanks again Richard (for the original info) and Stewart (for identifying the source of the problem).
Alan