Opening a Tawny and a Vintage Port together ...

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Opening a Tawny and a Vintage Port together ...

Post by Glenn E. »

I'd bid on that class!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Last weekend, Carl and his wife Phyllis were in town and they got together with Dorene and me. First dinner with some fun wines from CA and WA. Back to our place to sit down and make a serious dent in a Tawny and VP.

We did the Quinta do Portal 20 year old Tawny first. Next up was a fairly powerful young 1983 Gould Campbell showing how good it is. I am glad the Tawny went first in this case. Had the Gould gone first I think it would have destroyed the beauty of the Tawny and subtle nuances it brought to the party.

Carl, Phyllis ... what did you think?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Roy Hersh wrote: Carl, Phyllis ... what did you think?
If I recall, I actually did them in the opposite order, tasting the VP first. Since I already knew what to expect from the Tawny, I wanted to taste the VP with neutral tastebuds (well, as neutral as possible after a very flavorful meal and a pair of big reds at dinner).

I enjoyed both of the ports a great deal and switched back & forth between the two several times. We also had some small dessert items in the form of flavored cheesecakes. I found the tawny to go well with the NY style cheese cake, but I didn't think the VP went all that well with any of them - the combination was never better than the items individually.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Aha, that is right, I remember you both told me that this was your first foray into the Vintage Port realm. Not a bad bottle to lose your VP virginity with. I did them in the other direction, but I DEFINITELY understand why you did the VP first and certainly don't blame you. Typically we would not have had any food with the Ports or done them afterwards, but we were out and about earlier in the day and just happened to be at Seattle's best cheesecake producer, so, my purist ways were brushed aside to please my wife.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com