Do you use the dishwasher or hand wash your Port stems?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Do you use the dishwasher or hand wash your Port stems?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Peter W. Meek wrote:
Derek T. wrote:
Peter W. Meek wrote:Ask Eva.
There was a time when every Gentleman would have given a similar answer [notworthy.gif]
You will note that I instantly qualified that!
Good man or you may have ended up in the dog house :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

I like the dry ice method but I am not sure what I am going to do with the leftover two pounds of dry ice! I wash both by hand so that I do not have any detergent residue. There are some special cleaning agents just for crystal that have worked well for me. The one I am currently using is Stem Shine which is/was fronted by the Wine Enthusiast magazine. I found the stuff at my local wine shop. It has worked well but the stains will still come back with use.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have a bendy sponge-on-a-stick that my wife got me for cleaning decanters. That and a little soapy water seems to do the trick!
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I was given a micro fibre tea towel for Christmas which was designed specifically to shine crystal wine glasses. It seems to work extremely well, so since then I have hand-washed all my wine glasses.