Why Douro wines?

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John F. Newman

Why Douro wines?

Post by John F. Newman »

Portugal has several DOC regions... even 4 in the Algarve. Why does Douro seem to be preferred by drinkers in this forum?

(Sorry for throwing out another novice question. I had the wine seller on Ferry Street, Newark explain it to me once. I am looking to see what others think.)
Eric Ifune

Re: Why Douro wines?

Post by Eric Ifune »

One is that many of us started drinking Port before Douro wines. Many of the same producers of Port also produce very high quality Douro wines and we can discuss both with them. The Douro also produces very distinctive wines and in a world awash in Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, ect. they are a very welcome and refreshing difference.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Pretty much what Eric said. I love Port, and Douro wines are simply an extension of that. Douro wines are IMO also very underrated, though they are now starting to get more mainstream press and higher scores. So in a world where French and many USA wineries have priced out all but the uber-weathly, I gravitated toward Douro wines after being exposed to them as a result of drinking Port. I found I really enjoyed the different terroir they possess and IMO offer fantastic value. And to be frank, I am generally not a big fan of what has been termed "Parkerized wines." That is, wines that are overripe, jammy, heavy oak, and lacking acidity. A trait that is pretty rare in Douro wines and even those that are a bit heavy on oak when young tend to shed that fairly quickly and integrate well.

That said, I also enjoy and drink a good amount of older California wines (mainly Cab, and Pinot) from prior to the late 1990's and early 2000's when things started getting overripe here. I just don't post about them here as they are not related to Portugal.

(Very good question, so please don't apologize. Ask away [cheers.gif] )
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

John,

I have only been to six of the thirteen regions in Portugal, and have consumed wines from four of the other seven. That being said, Douro wines ... even in Portugal are looked as being some of the truly great ones. There are some excellent values for quality wines in a few of the other regions too, with a numbers of excellent producers there as well, depending on what you like. But the Douro and possibly Dão are the two regions that in my opinion, show the greatest impressions of their terroir. I also very much enjoy the wines of Estremadouro and especially the Alentejo and Ribatejo (now just called, "Tejo").

There are a few things that keep me focused on Douro:

a. the relationship to Port that Eric mentioned
b. terroir driven wines
c. their ability to age and improve for the long haul
d. many of the producers have been able to find distribution here in USA making them available to consumers that read here too
e. (this is a big one for me) ... DOC Douro wines use indigneous grapes that are either from Douro or have been in Portugal for centuries. There are things like Riesling and Syrah and Pinot Noir and Cabernet in the Douro too. But those grapes can NOT be included in wines that receive the DOC labels. For me, that is a very important thing and other Portuguese regions do use non-indigenous grapes to make up their DOC wines, which is not something I am a big fan of ... no matter how they taste. This may not be something important to others though.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I have similar opinion as the others giving you a response.
In addition I would say that I have also been consuming wines from most regions in Portugal (with or without food), and there is no doubt in my mind that Douro in general is way ahead of the other regions.

For a period some years ago I really made an effort to understand more of the Alentejo wines, and with the exception of a few producers the style there is not to my preference. As for Beiras / Bairrada / Dao there are som nice wines and I always have some bottles from those regions, but again in general I end up with Douro.

My general impression is that the port producers that have quality port wines automatically looks upon Douro wines in the same way.
Bruno P.

Post by Bruno P. »

John F. Newman wrote:Portugal has several DOC regions... even 4 in the Algarve. Why does Douro seem to be preferred by drinkers in this forum?

(Sorry for throwing out another novice question. I had the wine seller on Ferry Street, Newark explain it to me once. I am looking to see what others think.)
is very interesting what you said. why Douro? we have lot to like Douro wines, weather, the floor almost is xisto( sorry i dont know how i can write xisto in english:) ) the moisture is excelente and the grapes normally live very well. and the high mountains, one exemple is quinta do vale meao, have greats wines, amazing wines, because have those things all. Alentejo and Dao have greats wines too, but douro is douro 8--)