TN: 2007 Chryseia Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2007 Chryseia Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

After having been a bit sceptical to the first vintages of Chryseia, especially considering price/value, that has now blown away having tasted this 2007 vintage. Probably the years in the bottle have also helped a lot. This is a wonderful wine.

50/50 Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca and 12 months in oak. Decanted 5.5 hrs. Dark red colour with a light rim. Deep, elegant aroma of dark berries, flowers, oak and a tiny bit perfume. The aroma is indicating a Bordeaux-influence. Full body. A classy wine. Elegant, smooth, very nice tannins, full of berries, oak in a nice subdued way. Perfectly balanced, concentrated and the acid is well integrated into the wine. Very long aftertaste. A wonderful combination of Douro and Bordeaux. Buy it if you can find it, as I think this type of texture indicates a red wine that will improve further. 94 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 2007 Chryseia Douro red

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rune,
I completely agree with you. I was not a fan of these wines when they came out. To me they were to generic in taste and didn't resemble anything Douro. In short they were very new-world in style and boring. Some of the older ones have really come around and I think are far better now than when young. The 2001 is drinking lovely and so is the 2004, the later which I recently had from magnum. I've also been very impressed with some of the current vintages as well, such as the 2010. I feel the Sym's and Pratt's have finally gotten a good handle on what direction this wine should go.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bruno P.

Re: TN: 2007 Chryseia Douro red

Post by Bruno P. »

Rune EG wrote:After having been a bit sceptical to the first vintages of Chryseia, especially considering price/value, that has now blown away having tasted this 2007 vintage. Probably the years in the bottle have also helped a lot. This is a wonderful wine.

50/50 Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca and 12 months in oak. Decanted 5.5 hrs. Dark red colour with a light rim. Deep, elegant aroma of dark berries, flowers, oak and a tiny bit perfume. The aroma is indicating a Bordeaux-influence. Full body. A classy wine. Elegant, smooth, very nice tannins, full of berries, oak in a nice subdued way. Perfectly balanced, concentrated and the acid is well integrated into the wine. Very long aftertaste. A wonderful combination of Douro and Bordeaux. Buy it if you can find it, as I think this type of texture indicates a red wine that will improve further. 94 pts.
You you liked the chryseia 2007, i challenge you drinking 2003 was the best chryseia.