2011 Crasto Tinto

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2011 Crasto Tinto

Post by Roy Hersh »

Better than I would have expected. Opened last night. I saved one glass (with intent) for today.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Crasto Tinto

Post by Roy Hersh »

It is showing considerably better today. No real surprise there and typical for young Crasto reds in need of deep breathing.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

I bought one on Tuesday. €9/$US12. The back label says it is "Modern, fresh, fruity and well-structured".

I made it last 4 nights. I opened three other bottles the same night - a 2009 Meio Século Douro Reserva, 2011 Capote Premium and a 2010 Capote Reserva from Lisboa. The last out of the cellar (and really to compare with its slightly more expensive stablemate) the others bought on Tuesday also. I have had them lunchtime and evening each day, along with a "taster" of an el cheapo that is better than I expected in comparison.

The Crasto is as stated on the label. It was well matched by the others and the price differential makes it a "not again".
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Are we talking about the latest "lower" end Crasto that is made with grapes from outside the Quinta? It was, once upon a time, a Quinta do Crasto but is now simply a "Crasto". Or do they make two versions, one quinta and one non-quinta.

Mahmoud.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:Are we talking about the latest "lower" end Crasto that is made with grapes from outside the Quinta? It was, once upon a time, a Quinta do Crasto but is now simply a "Crasto". Or do they make two versions, one quinta and one non-quinta.

Mahmoud.
It would be the basic enrty level wine from them. There's a lot of confusion as some publications list it as Quinta do Crasto Crasto Douro. Some Crasto Douro and some Quinta do Crasto Douro.

With the exception of maybe an early vintage or two, as I can't recall, it is made from grapes not entirely (or at all now?) from the Quinta do Crasto property. Hence why they can't put "Quinta do" on the label.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com