TN: 2005 Quinta do Vale Meao Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2005 Quinta do Vale Meao Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

This tasting note is based on consuming two bottles with one week apart. Both dinners with meat. One of the best Douro reds I have ever tasted.
After having had many bottles of the 2007 vintage of this Vale Meao top-level, I am please to report that this 2005 is at least at the same level.

Decanted 3.5 hrs which is necessary in order for this red wine to open up. Darker red colour with a light rim and a touch of brown. Deep, widely complex aroma of dark berries, oak, leather and some asphalt and minerals (terroir). Full body. Powerful and some elegance. Taste is a superb combination of fruit, oak and minerals that is "exploding". Nice tannins giving acceptable and preferable resistance. Towards the end it became more and more elegant. Well balanced, a very interesting and pleasant wine to drink. Long aftertaste with a touch of black currant. A red wine very high up on my list of top Douro reds. 96 pts.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: TN: 2005 Quinta do Vale Meao Douro red

Post by Roy Hersh »

Are you feeling well, Rune?

96 points from you is like Parker scoring 118 points. :lol: :clap: :NotWorthy:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Rune EG

Re: TN: 2005 Quinta do Vale Meao Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

You gave me a good laugh!!
Yes, I am feeling well, especially after having consumed two of these bottles, and still have four in my cellar.
Since it was two bottles with one week a part, no one can say that the rating was because of one moment's special atmosphere.

Have manged to find two cases (2 x 6) of the 2009-edition, which I look forward to taste/drink as well.