TN: 2011 Vale da Poupa Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2011 Vale da Poupa Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Saw this recently at a local wine store for pretty cheap, under $13 IIRC. I grabbed one just to try it as I've never heard of this before. The back label (and later stamped on the cork) says it's from "Secret Spot." It appears this is a two person (Winemaker Rui Cunha and Viticulturist Goncalo Sousa Lopes) collaboration with some good financial backing judging from the website.

This bottle is a blend of 30% Tinta Roriz, 30% Touriga Franca, 30% Tinta Barroca, and 10% Touriga Nacional and is made in a combination of stainless steal and stone lagars. Tart red fruit with a good dose of tar and some spices. Medium bodied with almost too prominent tannins. It's put on some weight the longer it sat open with the tannins getting more noticeable. Pretty straight forward but enough overall to keep it interesting, which is hard to do in this price range. Overall I'm pretty pleased with this. It makes a very good daily QPR wine for a very reasonable price.
85 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com