TN: 2009 Quinta do Portal Colheita Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2009 Quinta do Portal Colheita Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Picked this up at my local Costco for $13. Popped and poured, and consumed over the following 3 hours. Initally this was quite lean and tart. After about an hour this had put on more weight and depth. In addition to the red fruit, some tar, meaty notes, a large amount of tannins appeared. The later being a bit too much for the overall experience. The weakest link is the short tart finish which distracts from a nice palate. Drinks well now, but I don't see this getting any better at this point. I'd recommend drinking up in the next year or two. Overall, a good wine given it's price point.
87 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bob Parsons Alberta

Re: TN: 2009 Quinta do Portal Colheita Douro

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

Portal is a feature of my wine-buying from time to time, might have to pass on this one though. :(
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 2009 Quinta do Portal Colheita Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Portal is a feature of my wine-buying from time to time, might have to pass on this one though. :(
I normally am a fan of Portal's wines. While this one was good, compared to the 2011 Tuella Douro DOC I just posted about, which at more than 1/2 the cost of the Portal, is a far better value.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com