TN: 2005 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2005 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Initially decanted 3 hours and consumed over two more. Initially this showed a good amount of vanilla oak and black fruit on the nose. It immediately overtakes the mouth with loganberries, minerality, moderate tannins showing up mid palate, plenty of acidity keeping it fresh and lively, and some prominent oak. I was getting worried about how much oak was showing on this, then about 4 hours in it quickly integrated and was less noticable. I am a little concerned if the oak will outlive the fruit in years to come. As at this stage it should not show so prominate for so long. That aside, decant this at least 4 or more hours for it to show its best. And at this point it does drink amazingly well. Few producers have mastered this single grape variety as Crasto has.
94 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian G r a f s t r o m

Re: TN: 2005 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional Douro

Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Hmmmm, bummer about the oak --- glad it yielded enough to enjoy the bottle, but it does give some reason for concern. Thanks for this note, Andy. [cheers.gif]
Mahmoud Ali

Re: TN: 2005 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional Douro

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Andy Velebil wrote:Few producers have mastered this single grape variety as Crasto has.
I thought the Quinta do Vallado bottling was really smart though I can't recall if it was the '08 or '09 vintage that I had.

Mahmoud.