TN: 2011 Quinta do Crasto Reserva Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2011 Quinta do Crasto Reserva Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

Crasto's winemaker Manuel Lobo informed during a Winemakers dinner in Odense, Denmark, February 2013,that Crasto is working on producing the Reserva at a stable level, and that the taste would be recognizable from year-to-year. I think that is good news, as the Crasto Reserva is the red wine that we always have in our cellar with the highest quantity.

1 hr decanting. Dark red colour. Complex and interesting aroma of oak, berries and minerals. Full body. Powerful and elegant from the very first sip. A Douro red full of many tastes which is growing throughout the tasting. Full of berries. Nice level of tannins and acid. Too short decanting, as I prefer 2-3 hrs for the Crasto Reserva. Will try again shortly with longer decanting. For this bottle the score was 92 pts.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: TN: 2011 Quinta do Crasto Reserva Douro red

Post by Roy Hersh »

Agree, with any vintage of the QdC VV Reserva, when young and especially when this very young ... they need much more time than 1 hour. For me, 3-4 hours usually is good and even up to 6 depending on vintage. The 2011 I had in July was really a beauty and up there with the best vintages of this particular wine.

What was your take on the oak integration, Rune?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com