TN: 2008 Crasto Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

TN: 2008 Crasto Douro

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Purchased for $8.50 at LWS on close out. I figured at <$10 I could take a punt on this and ignore the lackluster cellartracker reviews.

Nose is somewhat interesting, rather foresty and barnyard with a little black fruit. Not the sexiest, but not offensive for folks into older Bordeaux wines and the like (ie not fruit forward w/ age).

The palate is pretty solid and complete, with more forest upfront, but good full black fruits in the middle and close and some good acidity and zest at the backend. Don't get me wrong, this is basic mid weight wine that is probably a year or two past best, but it's not over the hill, and at <$10, more than meets the mark for acceptable QPR. I may buy the other 3 bottles tomorrow.

87 Points

I could see this having been an 88-89 at its prime.
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 2008 Crasto Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

This was around the time they improved the quality of this QPR Douro red (either 2007 or this vintage IIRC). Prior to that I didn't particularly care for it. Like you said, for the price it's now a good value wine. Not earth shattering, but serviceable.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

am I right to think that since it's labeled "Crasto" instead of "Quinta do Crasto" this is made from primarily purchased grapes?
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:am I right to think that since it's labeled "Crasto" instead of "Quinta do Crasto" this is made from primarily purchased grapes?
They used to buy some grapes for this. They now grow all their own, which started at the 2008 vintage IIRC (or was it 2007?), but they don't all come from the main Quinta. Hence, why it is just called "Crasto" and not "Quinta do Crasto".
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Thanks!
-Brad