Portuguese Box Wines - What is your favorite?

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Portuguese Box Wines - What is your favorite?

Post by Moses Botbol »

What's your favorite Portuguese box wine?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Alan McDonald

Re: Portuguese Box Wines - What is your favorite?

Post by Alan McDonald »

I suppose I have a wider choice than most, and I have tried many. Unlike Australia, there are no fortified wines available. However, like Australia, the same wine varies a great deal in flavour and quality, and I have often thought that occasionally a better quality wine finds its way into the boxes, whilst at other times it is the very end of a tank. Even allowing for quality differences, I have also found (over 11 years) that the same box can change dramatically from time to time. Presently I buy both red and white Tapada do Franco (Beira Interior and therefore local) when I can get it. Failing that, I try whatever is available from Setubal or Palmela, but preferably not Igrejinha as it is too variable. I do not care for Alentejo wines, but there is one called Alecrim that I have had from time to time, and at the price the quality has always been good.
Alan McDonald

Post by Alan McDonald »

I remembered earlier today that I had not posted that my current favourite from Palmela is Pedras Negra (Palmela Co-op)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

We get a Palmela bottle that must be a co-op too. In a burgundy bottle and just says Palmela on it (I think). Quite good for the money at $6-7 - FWIW
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars