TN: 2010 Niepoort Coche Douro White

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

TN: 2010 Niepoort Coche Douro White

Post by Eric Menchen »

Not much aroma, but slight butter, and then developing to show malo fermentation. Really thick with oak and butter in the mouth. Not my favorite, as I liked the 2010 Niepoort Redoma Branco better. 84 points, admittedly due to my taste. (28 Feb 14)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: TN: 2010 Niepoort Coche Branco

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow, I can understand your note, but although still quite oaky at this young stage ... this will be incredible with a decade of bottle age ... that score just knocked me off my chair. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I don't really like buttery wines. That's my taste. For that reason I hardly every drink Chardonnay. Some are buttery, some are not, but if I don't know, it is not worth the risk.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Dirk is not one to like oak, in general. However, while these do show some prominent oak in their youth, which can turn people off that don't have experience with aged versions ... at about 6-8 years of age, they turn into beautifully integrated and complex white wines. I've fooled some very serious Burgundy freaks, but pouring the 2005 blind for them. Nobody ever guessed blind that these were from Portugal and the few times I've done this, they have been thought to be delicious white Burgs.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com