TN: 2011 Quinta do Crasto Old Vine Reserva Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2011 Quinta do Crasto Old Vine Reserva Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Initially popped and poured and tasted over the following 4 hours. Lots of expressive fresh dark, but not jammy, fruit, tar, smoke, and beef bullion on the nose. The palate has gone from being slightly closed up to full of dark and fresh berries, lots of tar, graphite, and then a big dose of minerality followed by a solid dose of tannins. With the exception of maybe the 2004 Reserva, I can’t recall any previous vintages of this having such minerality. Unlike most previous versions there is almost no overt oak showing. I don’t know if that’s simply due to the vintage condition of the grapes dominating it or any deviation from past vintages. Over the course of drinking this it continued to become more expressive with the fruit, though never being close to overripe or jammy fruit. The acidity also became more pronounced with air and helped to soften the blow of the minerals and tannins. Very difficult to tell where the palate ended and the very long finish started. This is perhaps the finest and purist of the Reserva’s yet. While this wine is always a great buy year in and year out, this vintage of the Old Vine Reserva is simply awesome and on a different level than previous recent vintages. This should drink well for many many years to come.
94 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Re: TN: 2011 Quinta do Crasto Old Vine Reserva Douro

Post by Brian C. »

Now I know why that liquor store was practically giving away their last few bottles of the 2010.