TN: 2009 Casa Ferreirinha Quinta da Leda Douro DOC

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2009 Casa Ferreirinha Quinta da Leda Douro DOC

Post by Andy Velebil »

2009 Casa Ferreirinha Quinta da Leda Douro DOC
A nose of black currants, tar, esteva, and a touch of oak. This started out really thin on the palate, enough that I was worried. Then about an hour later this made a huge transformation, putting on noticeable weight and body. The style of this is far more elegant than brawny, but not lacking in intensity. The acidity has continued to get more prominent the longer it’s been open and so has the complexity. Black currants, tar, a very slight touch of youthful oak just barely noticeable, light touch of green pepper, and massive youthful tannins. Did I mention tannins? Cause there is a lot of them. While this has only been opened 4 hours at writing, the finish has continued to build and has gotten longer the longer the bottle has been opened. I must admit I under estimated how long I should have opened this before hand. Next bottled will get a solid 6-8 hours or more so I recommend a very long decant at this point. My score is probably a bit low due to the aforementioned short decant issue, and very well may go up with the next bottle which will be decanted for far longer.
92+ points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com