TN: 2005 Niepoort Robustus Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2005 Niepoort Robustus Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

Purchased a case of 6 btls in 2009. Tried a couple back then but decided to keep the remaining four for some years. Now after five years this Douro red is nine years old, and time to test it again. I am giving it a decent 92 pts. However when considering the relatively high price, the Robustus should be at 95 pts-level. During a tasting in Oslo November 2010 when Dirk Niepoort was present we tasted three Robustus vintages. At that time I gave 2004 92 pts, 2005 93 pts, and the famous 1990 95 pts. So if it means the Robustus need to be 20 years before reaching the expected level, then they will stay in the cellar for a long time!!

Bottled 2009 (after four years!). 4 hrs decanting. Dark red colour with a light rim. Deep complex aroma of oak and berries. A bit spicy. Full to medium body. Quite elegant and powerful at the start then a little bit rougher. Taste also a nice mix of fruit and oak. Long aftertaste. Perfect as part of a meat meal. 92 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 2005 Niepoort Robustus Douro red

Post by Andy Velebil »

Great wine and note. Yes, but those you have left away for a long time!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Re: TN: 2005 Niepoort Robustus Douro red

Post by Frederick Blais »

I only was able to get one bottle of the 2005 so I'm holding on it. It will probably go as far as the 1990 but definitively it will be a different beast. The 1990 was made to be the most extracted and "Robust" wine while the new wave started in 2004 aimed to be more elegant, pure and complex. I think pre-2004 Redoma will have a profile closer to Robustus 1990 when they age.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company