TN: 2011 Quinta do Crasto Vinha Maria Teresa Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2011 Quinta do Crasto Vinha Maria Teresa Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Decanted 6 hours. Very extracted color with a nose dominated by dark fruit and a touch of vanilla from the new oak barrels. The palate initially has a very creamy texture to it which the very noticeable minerality and dominate tannins quickly over take. Interlaced with that is plenty of tar, graphite, black stone fruit, and an amazing freshness. There is nothing cloying with this wine despite that dark fruit and dusty tannins. I had to look twice at the ABV as I would never guess this was 15% ABV by taste, as it shows far lower. Seamless in its body and very long complex finish. The longer this sits open, even after a 6 hour decant, the better and better it gets. While I love other vintages of this, this is perhaps the best vintage of this since the legendary and rarely seen 1998. This is an amazing Douro wine that all serious Douro wine drinkers need to seek out and get.
96 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com