what's your "go to" Portuguese table wine

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John F. Newman

what's your "go to" Portuguese table wine

Post by John F. Newman »

What is your regular, every day Portuguese wine?

I'm all over the place, and looking for opinions on something reasonable for everyday.
Moses Botbol

Re: what's your "go to" Portuguese table wine

Post by Moses Botbol »

For under $12 a bottle wines - Douro; I like Altano, Duas Quintas, or Flor de Crasto. For Dão; Quinta Cabriz, Udaca, or Terras Tomas Ribeiro.

I am missing a few; kept it to the easy to find brands for first coffee post on FTLOP today. :Naughty:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

In white I really like Albis or Dialogo from Niepoort. The Follies vinho verde from Aveleda are of good quality too.

In red, The Fabulous series from Niepoort(name depends on your country), wines from CARM too are very good.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Usually it's Crasto's Old Vine Reserva as I can find it quite easily in stores around me and offers great QPR. I also love the Broadbent Vinho Verde and usually go through a case or two during summer...which reminds me I need to go get a case as it's starting to get hot out.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Usually it's Crasto's Old Vine Reserva as I can find it quite easily in stores around me and offers great QPR.
Your table is much fancier than mine... Do you find Old Vine Reserva under $25 at retail?
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Ditto on the Broadbent Vinho Verde for white. Great QPR. My go to red, only because I got a bunch for less than $10/per bottle is 2008 Crasto Douro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Casa Ferreirinha "Esteva" Douro is new one in our market that is great for under $12. I use to buy 2000 Companhia das Quintas Cado Douro for around $10 and that was a heck of a wine for the money. Haven't seen it in quite a while. Buy it you see it. Altano is still the benchmark everyday Douro IMO. Great balance of old world and new; just hits the mark for me. :winepour:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Usually it's Crasto's Old Vine Reserva as I can find it quite easily in stores around me and offers great QPR.
Your table is much fancier than mine... Do you find Old Vine Reserva under $25 at retail?
I can usually find it from time to time around $28-34 so I grab a bunch as I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bob Parsons Alberta

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

Another vote for CARM. Also Portal.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Another vote for CARM. Also Portal.
Which Portal do you consider a table wine and how much does it cost in your parts? Portal's products have penetrated the market in Boston that well at all. Too bad; they are one of the best dry wine makers in the Douro, IMO.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Another vote for CARM. Also Portal.
Which Portal do you consider a table wine and how much does it cost in your parts? Portal's products have penetrated the market in Boston that well at all. Too bad; they are one of the best dry wine makers in the Douro, IMO.
IMO, they still have a ways to go with consistency of their Douro wines. As they are quite hit or miss and still haven't achieved a top level. But they are working on it and aren't afraid to try new things. I only wish I could get their stuff easier near me. I rarely see their wines/Ports except for once in a while a dry wine at Costco.