TN: 2010 Jose Maria da Fonseca Domini Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2010 Jose Maria da Fonseca Domini Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Picked this up at my local Costco for $11 since I'd never had this particular Douro wine before. Light bodied, bitter green tannins, tart red fruit with an industrial component to it, and a very clipped finish. There is nothing pleasurable about this wine. Matter of fact this has to be the worst Douro wine I've had in a long time. I got about half way through the first glass and poured the rest out, including the rest of the bottle.
75 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Re: TN: 2010 Jose Maria da Fonseca Domini Douro

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Andy,

Too bad about this - I've had the 2003 Domini and it was nowhere near what you described. In fact I quite liked it and decided to cellar a bottle to see how it would develop. In fact it made me think about getting the Domini Plus, the superior blend, though I never got around to getting one. Anyway, I've always found Jose Maria da Fonseca's wine to be high in quality at all levels - I wonder if your bottlle was flawed, perhaps slightly corked.

Mahmoud.

PS: The best J.M. Fonseca wine I ever had was an '86 Periquita Classico in the early 2000s when it was about 16 years old. It was fantastic - it made me seek out the then current vintage to cellar a few bottles.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 2010 Jose Maria da Fonseca Domini Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Don't know if it was an off bottle, as that was the only one I've had. I am very sensitive to TCA and didn't detect any. Yet, still it came off as being an poorly made 'industrial' made wine. While I probably won't buy another bottle of the same vintage, if I run across a different vintage I'll get it to see how it is.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com