TN: 2011 Churchill's Touriga Nacional Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2011 Churchill's Touriga Nacional Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've not seen a tasting note or had this yet, so when I saw it at a local retailer I had to get some (And truth be told, I've enjoyed what Johnny Graham has done in the past and I rarely see them at stores near me). And at $25 it wasn't exactly expensive. Decanted 1 hour. Medium bodied with moderate tannins, good acidity, chalky minerality, menthol, and well balanced fruit. Came across a little simple at first but it's putting on more weight and complexity as it opens up and becoming more enjoyable as well. Matter of fact, this is much better two hours in. There is better harmony, some tar, that menthol is becoming more of a eucalyptus, the tannins have picked up, a touch of meatiness, and the finish is now quite long. Initially I was in the 88 point range, but am now in the 90, maybe 91 point range. The only short coming, which most Douro single Varietals suffer from is a slight lack of layers. But I'm splitting hairs there. A darn good wine, especially at the price. I would recommend at least a 2 hour decant at this point.
90(+) Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com