'77 Dao Wine

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

'77 Dao Wine

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I came across this wine for $20 as a one off at a reputable online retailer, and picked it up to fill out a case. I know next to nothing about what to expect from the bottle, so am asking for thoughts on how it might show, history of the producer, etc.

Thanks!
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Bradley Bogdan

Re: '77 Dao Wine

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Should have googled before posting, but I didn't so I've now run across this: http://www.nytimes.com/1982/10/27/garde ... 48310.html

Funny to read about "...$14 a bottle, far above the level of casual wine drinkers"

-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Wow, I bet that is going to be a fun bottle of wine! They make a solid entry level traditional Dao. Very curious to see how this bottle shows.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cool. Curious how it shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I wouldn't hesitate to pay $20 for a '77 Dao - they age remarkable well. For an idea of what to expect read the posts in the following thread:

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... Dao#p93248

And thanks for the link to the old article - it was a fun read. Many old stalwards in the list and in addition to the Dao I suspect the ' 78 Spanna might also be drinking well

Mahmoud.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Mahmoud Ali wrote:I wouldn't hesitate to pay $20 for a '77 Dao - they age remarkable well.
Nor would I! Any more of those for sale [beg.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Tcwc.com has fun stuff pop up in their Portuguese section pretty regularly. Their pricing can be all over the place though, sometimes nice deals, other times you just scratch your head.

-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I had a unknown vintage 1970's Dao white from Constantino a year or so ago that was good for about 45 minutes or so, then started a decline. Amazing it held up that well. So here's to keeping fingers crossed.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Mc

Post by Scott Mc »

Grão Vasco brand is owned by Sogrape (Portuga's largest producer) and I believe Sogrape owned the brand in 1977. Today the Grão Vasco brand is a bargin brand selling for a couple euros a bottle here in Portugal. Certainly not a wine that you would look to for any type of typicity/excellence from the Dão.
That said, I have no idea what you should expect from that wine. I recently opened a magnum of a 1970 Dão wine that I found in my in-laws house and it was good/interesting. Wine making in Portugal was quite dodgy in many regions for many many years (really until joining the EU) so who really knows what went into these old bottles.
Enjoy the wine, report back.