TN: 2013 Tuella Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2013 Tuella Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

The 2011 was a darn good QPR for $6 a bottle. So when I saw Trader's Joe had the 2013 for the same price I grabbed one to try. Thin bodied, tart red fruit that is very forward and has no complexity. Clipped bitter finish. The 2011 was a far better wine than this, which is a disappointment in comparison.
77 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Re: TN: 2013 Tuella Douro

Post by Edward J »

Andy Velebil wrote:The 2011 was a darn good QPR for $6 a bottle. So when I saw Trader's Joe had the 2013 for the same price I grabbed one to try. Thin bodied, tart red fruit that is very forward and has no complexity. Clipped bitter finish. The 2011 was a far better wine than this, which is a disappointment in comparison.
77 Points
Reverse Wine Snob had a review of TJ's wines and I needed a couple of cases for our twice monthly game nights. The 2012 was well regarded but alas only the 2013 was available. The same was true for most of the wines reviewed, newer vintages were only available. So I purchased a couple of bottles each of what I thought they would like and tonight the Tuella 2013 came up. I agree with you Andy, it wasn't good when first opened. When I served the Pizza, I had lemonaide. However, our guests drank it all down without comment, good or bad. The review of the 2011 notes it was better on the 2nd day! So far the best wines from TJ's have been their private reserve labels, good stuff if you don't care what it says on the bottle, but more in the $15-20 range.