TNs: Quinta de Linhares samples

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

TNs: Quinta de Linhares samples

Post by Eric Menchen »

As these aren't commercial bottlings, I'm not sure they should be split out for entries into the database. I'm posting them together, and a moderator can split them out if desired.

Quinta de Linhares 4-5 year old Cask Sample
This was a barrel aged blend, 85% Arinto, 15% Avesso. The aroma was yeasty, and woody too. There was some complexity in the mouth, but the aroma just wasn’t there.

Quinta de Linhares 1 year old Cask Sample
This was a barrel aged wine, 100% Avesso, with 1 year in barrel. Was it 2014 then, or perhaps 2013? I’m not sure. It had more of a fume blanc aroma, with some tar and asphalt as well. Sweet, fruity, and very interesting with a lot of potential.

Quinta de Linhares blended sample
This was a blend of the above two samples (the 4-5 year old blend, and the 1 year old 100% Avesso), along with some wine only aged in stainless steel, bottled 3 months ago. This was really quite nice, a sum greater than its parts. This could be really good.

Quinta de Linhares sparkling wine sample
This has some neat aromas and nice body. Let this age and it could really fun.

Takeaway from all this: They are trying some different things with potential to make some really interesting wines. I would probably enjoy a white barrel aged blend from them if released. The sparkling wine might not be premier, but it too cold be a nice starter for a Portuguese themed tasting.