What is the general view of Douro reds 2012 / 2013 / 2014 ?

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

What is the general view of Douro reds 2012 / 2013 / 2014 ?

Post by Rune EG »

We drink a lot of Douro reds at home, but the last 2-3 years there has been more of buying younger bottles and drinking older.
We all agree 2011 is very good for Douro reds and are likely to improve in the years to come.

But how about the following three years? Crasto normally made their Maria Teresa once every 2-3 years, but we see now that they have made it three years in a row (2011 + 2012 + 2013).
Which of these years (12 + 13 + 14) should be purchased for storage, and which for consuming within the next 1 – 5 years?
Frederick Blais

Re: What is the general view of Douro reds 2012 / 2013 / 2014 ?

Post by Frederick Blais »

quickly ...

2012 I've lost my notes on this year.

2013 was a great year up until the rain and cold weather of late September early October arrived. For those that were able to harvest enough grapes before the bad weather, the potential is great. I know a lot of producers did not, they thought the sun would come again and wipe the water off the surface so the perfect condition could resume. It did not happen until late October.

2014 was a fresh year, early hot weather in spring suggested early harvest from the start. Cooler weather during the summer put things back into normal shape until some hot days in late August early September that definitively triggered the harvest. The vine was not stressed during the summer, that's why it is a early harvest. Again rain hits just before many wanted to harvest in mid September. Then some isolated showers complicated the work for many who did not start to harvest. Potential for great freshness and elegance here from what I have tasted in barrel.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

My thoughts: I liked 2012 a lot. It seemed better than 2010, which was not as poor a vintage as anticipated. Some wines in 2012 are stunning - Q. Vale D. Maria CV and Vinha do Rio and Q. Vale Meao for example.
I haven't tried any 2013s yet. I should probably try the Crasto Superior that just showed up at the wine shop. I haven't had any 2014s yet, but I had heard that the vintage was a weak year... but again... I don't have any direct knowledge.

I know that Mark Squires likes 2012 and 2013. 2012 is very good, not up to the 2011 standard, but he likes it because it drinks well earlier than the 2011 with close to the same quality from the better producers. I just read his 2013 comments and he likes 2013 better than 2012. He has similar thoughts to Frederick. Tricky year, those who harvested early had great material. He has not reviewed Crasto yet.

As for the Crasto Maria Teresa, these are always great. I remember the horrible 2006 vintage. I did not buy Maria Teresa that year, but many years later it is opened for us and it's great! I don't think that any Maria Teresa's from 2012-2014 will need consuming over the next 1-5 years.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

After 2011, I don't think anybody would really quibble which is best. 2012 had some great showings and I'd put the Douro wines up there with 2008/2009 in terms of quality. I have had quite a few during the past two year's tours and every producer I've tasted: from Tedo and Niepoort, Quinta Nova, Noval, Vale Meao, Vallado, Vale Dona Maria, Rio Bom, Quinta do Crasto and many more ... have all been up there with some of the finest vintages since the turn of the century. They were not crazy expensive either. I've had whites from the Douro from 2013 and 2014 but reds I've had from 2013 and 2014 were cask samples.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com