Is Touriga Nacional really the best grape in Portugal?

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Is Touriga Nacional really the best grape in Portugal?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Touriga Nacional still represents only about 3-4% of the grapes in the Douro. But from my experience the Touriga Nacional grape offers VERY different qualities and characteristics in each region that it is grown. IMO, it is not easy to choose a single grape that is different everywhere it is grown. Your thoughts?

http://www.winemag.com/gallery/touriga- ... eed-grape/
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bert VD

Re: Is Touriga Nacional really the best grape in Portugal?

Post by Bert VD »

i'm not a wine maker so i haven't really got a clue. but i tasted a few different grapes in the Douro and the ones i liked most were Touriga Nacional and Touriga Franca. but that's not in a wine bottle :P
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Baga, Loureiro, Tinta Roriz... The list goes on. I don't think there is a single "best grape" from Portugal at all. The magic is in the blend.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I was under the impression that Douro was now planted with more than 15% Touriga Nacional. There has been a lot of replanting in the last 20 years with higher production and less problematic TN clones that have nothing to do with the original old vines TN. But I could be wrong.

TN is a very powerfull, concentrated grape but I'm not a big fan of single variety wines made out of it. Either we need more time to properly understand it or simply not the best grape. Too few are doing interesting wines out of it that age well or have the potential to do so. Crasto and Vale Meao Monte Meao are fine example of fresh and complex TN.

I'd love to see more Tinta Armarela and Touriga Franca wines out of Douro. Outside Douro, Baga, Traincadera(Tinta Armerela) and Ramisco are clearly moving me with their single varietal wines.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

In addition to Fred's post (with which I very much agree): isn't it also because many of theses single varietal wines are made from those lesser clones (in terms of character/quality) that these wines fail to impress?
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

IMO, no it is not. It's a temperamental beast that is hard to tame and subsequently hard to make into a really good single varietal wine. My opinion is, there was a rush to come up with a grape the Douro could call their own when Douro wines were just getting popular and for whatever reason TN was the one. I think as more and more people have tried to work with it on its own the more they are realizing it's a grape that is better used in a blend. There is a reason so little of it is planted.

I've said it a lot...While a lot of people make a dry wine from it on its own, very few make a really good wine from it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

I think Terrantez might have something to say about this.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:
I've said it a lot...While a lot of people make a dry wine from it on its own, very few make a really good wine from it.
I can only think a few that really can tout their TN wines; Crasto and Vallado are first two that come to mind (at least from the Douro). Is there any big ones from Dao?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
I can only think a few that really can tout their TN wines; Crasto and Vallado are first two that come to mind (at least from the Douro). Is there any big ones from Dao?
I've only had one from them, but the 2005 Quinta da Falorca TN from Dao was amazing. I posted a Tasting Note recently.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Moses Botbol wrote:Baga, Loureiro, Tinta Roriz... The list goes on. I don't think there is a single "best grape" from Portugal at all. The magic is in the blend.
:clap:
Exactly. Agree 100% on this.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I've been mulling this over because it's a question related to some of the things I do at work. And the way you answer the question comes down to this:

What do you mean by "best grape in Portugal"?

The grape that is easiest to use to make good wine could be considered the "best" grape in Portugal.

The grape that adds the most structure to a wine blend could be considered the "best" grape in Portugal.

The grape that, in the hands of a master, makes the most mind-blowing wine you've ever tasted but in the wrong hands makes drek could be considered the "best" grape in Portugal.

The grape that produces the most juice per hectare could be considered the "best" grape in Portugal.

The list could go on and on, but I think you understand the point now. Before we can answer whether or not Touriga Nacional is really the best grape in Portugal, we have to know what "best grape in Portugal" really means.
Glenn Elliott
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Glenn E. wrote: What do you mean by "best grape in Portugal"?
[...]
The list could go on and on, but I think you understand the point now. Before we can answer whether or not Touriga Nacional is really the best grape in Portugal, we have to know what "best grape in Portugal" really means.
Before Glenn's comment here I was giving it some thought as well and come to the resolution that the main issue here is that the Question is not properly addressed :wink:
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Mario Ferreira wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:Baga, Loureiro, Tinta Roriz... The list goes on. I don't think there is a single "best grape" from Portugal at all. The magic is in the blend.
:clap:
Exactly. Agree 100% on this.
Actually I should have also added on the quote above that for Portuguese mono-varietal wines there's an exception that should be taken into account: being that for ALVARINHO from the Vinho Verde sub-regions of Monção and Melgaço.

The varietal grape Alvarinho can easily produce a wonderful mono-varietal wine without the "magic of the blend". :wink:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

The best grape in Portugal?
Terrantez of course! 8--)