TN: 2013 Quinta do Vallado Reserva Field Blend Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2013 Quinta do Vallado Reserva Field Blend Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

3 hrs decanting (preferably need longer time). Dark purple red. Powerful interesting aroma of berries and minerals. Medium body. We found this Douro red to be a bit “bumpy” and boring. Could be that it needs many more years to settle down, but as showed it was far away from where Vallado want to be in the Douro red segment. Very dry wine that is influencing the experience throughout the consumption (together with food). Indications of some elegance. Medium length aftertaste. 85 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 2013 Quinta do Vallado Reserva Field Blend Douro red

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've had very mixed emotions about Vallado's dry wines. At times some have captured my attention, but most I've had are similar to what you describe. That is, I think your "boring" description is spot on. I don't know if longer in bottle will help or not. Unfortunately I don't buy many anymore as a result.

What do you think about their wines overall?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Well... I'm biased as I really like Quinta do Vallado... Luckily we can get their wines on this little rock that I call home... and I think that, thanks to my friends and me, Vallado has a larger market-share of Portuguese wines here than in any other country... Of course I drink mainly their aged Tawnies... but if somebody asks me for a recommendation for a red Portuguese wine, I always recommend the Touriga Nacional from Vallado. What a great wine. Especially the 2011 was fantastic - this was my house wine but now I'm nearly out of it... Whatever I look for in a Douro Wine is exactly what is in that bottle... But also the 2012 is very nice... Because I'm so used to the Touriga Nacional, their more simple red entry-level wines are of course a little bit less interesting - but we have used also those bottles in our missionary battle to convert the locals here towards Douro Wine...
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

As for Andy's question how I view Vallado overall, I will be cautious to give any verdict.
Visited them on FTLOP Harvets Tour 2010 (Andy was also there) and we tasted 9 Douro wines. Most of them got mid-to-high 80s in score. Only exceptions were 2008 Touriga Nacional (90) and 2003 Sousao (92). As these two one grape wines were very good, I decided a couple of years later (winter 2012/2013) to try them in later vintages. OK wines, but not extraordinary. 2010 Touriga Nacional (85) and 2010 Sousao (88). Both decanted 3 hrs.

During FTLOP 10th years anninversary in Seattle July 2015 the 2007 Touriga Nacional was given 92 pts.

And now this 2013 Reserva Field Blend which was 85 pts.
I do respect Christians comments that he has a differant view. Consumers palates are differant and that gives wine yards the possibilty to sell.

I do not mind trying Vallado again if I get some good recommendations as to which wines and which vintages. I drink Douro reds from the other four Douro Boys so the opportunity is there!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rune EG wrote:As for Andy's question how I view Vallado overall, I will be cautious to give any verdict.
Visited them on FTLOP Harvets Tour 2010 (Andy was also there) and we tasted 9 Douro wines. Most of them got mid-to-high 80s in score. Only exceptions were 2008 Touriga Nacional (90) and 2003 Sousao (92). As these two one grape wines were very good, I decided a couple of years later (winter 2012/2013) to try them in later vintages. OK wines, but not extraordinary. 2010 Touriga Nacional (85) and 2010 Sousao (88). Both decanted 3 hrs.

During FTLOP 10th years anninversary in Seattle July 2015 the 2007 Touriga Nacional was given 92 pts.

And now this 2013 Reserva Field Blend which was 85 pts.
I do respect Christians comments that he has a differant view. Consumers palates are differant and that gives wine yards the possibilty to sell.

I do not mind trying Vallado again if I get some good recommendations as to which wines and which vintages. I drink Douro reds from the other four Douro Boys so the opportunity is there!
Rune
Thanks. Looks like we have similar views of Vallado's dry wines. For me, what's been mentioned already and their higher-than-similar-producers price point is a turn off. I'm always open to a producer changing (example; RCV is now making some good nicely priced wines) so I will continue to try Vallado's wares to assess where they are headed.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com