TN: 2008 Lokal Silex (Filipa Pato) Beiras red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2008 Lokal Silex (Filipa Pato) Beiras red

Post by Rune EG »

This wine is made in Dao, but it could not be classified there due to the way Filipa Pato made the wine. Therefore Beiras. 85 % Touriga Nacional and 15 % Alfrocheiro. Had a case of six bottles which is now finished. Consumed during period 2011-16 and the quality was fairly stable during the years, probably best at the last bottle. Perfect for meat dinners.

Decanted 2 hrs. Deep dark red colour with a tiny touch of brown (last two bottles). Pleasant, well balanced aroma of berries (cherries), plenty minerals, some oak and hints of flowers. Full body. Powerful fruit and minerals in a very nice combination. Dry all the way, but at the same time quite smooth. I will call it an eccentric wine. 92 pts.
Ronald Wortel

Re: TN: 2008 Lokal Silex (Filipa Pato) Beiras red

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Did you not find any brett in your bottles? I've tasted this wine multiple times over the last 2 years and all seemed to have it to some extend.
Otherwise a fine wine, I agree.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

I am not entirely sure how you define "brett" so I had to look on the internet. On the web site aromadictionary.com I found description like "band-aid" and "characters associated with Brett include wet dog, creosote, burnt beans, rotting vegetation, plastic". If those description are correct for describing "brett", then I never noticed them in the six bottles we had here.

As you could see from my tasting note they were consumed with the sequence of abt one bottle per year, and they were quite stable in quality.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

A bit of a delayed reply, sorry. The most common aromas of Brett are sticky plasters, horse sweat and manure. It used to be very prominent in many Rhone wines, loved by some and considered a fault by others. I find that, in small amounts, it can add some interest to a wine, but can be quite distracting if too obvious.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo