2009 Quinta de Gomariz Alvarinho

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Brian C.

2009 Quinta de Gomariz Alvarinho

Post by Brian C. »

Flickinger's marked it down to $2 per bottle during their recent blowout sale. How could I resist? I came in expecting nothing. What happens when Alvarinho ages? There wasn't a lot of info out there about it. What I noticed more with this versus a younger Alvarinho was that this had a sweetness to it, but then I haven't tried anything from Gomariz before. The fruit was still there, all apples. The acidity was still there. Oh yes, it was. Some herbaceousness. Apple pie or cider, perhaps? Minerality, too. Or was that oxidative? The second glass was better than the first tonight after pop and pour. Science experiments are fun. I have five more after this one. If any of the others have any other twists to them, I will post.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 2009 Quinta de Gomariz Alvarinho

Post by Andy Velebil »

At that price buy them all!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Re: 2009 Quinta de Gomariz Alvarinho

Post by Brian C. »

There was a bit of a dropoff on the second night. More oxidative for sure. I don't mind an oxidative note, but as the wine warmed up it became especially prominent. There was a bit of a petillance on the first night, also, and that was definitely gone on night two, as one might expect.