TN: 2006 Niepoort Redoma Douro red

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Rune EG

TN: 2006 Niepoort Redoma Douro red

Post by Rune EG »

Decanted 3 hrs. Dark purple colour with a distinct touch of brown. Aroma of oak, dusty cellar, smoked meat and actually some licorice. Full to medium body. Powerful taste showing berries, oak, touch of anise and nice tannins. A bit dry towards the end. Acceptable acidity level. Strong “personality”. Medium to long aftertaste. 91 pts.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: TN: 2006 Niepoort Redoma Douro red

Post by Andy Velebil »

Rune
Do you think this is has peaked or do you think it still has room to grow and get better?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've been drinking a lot of Redoma 2006 recently, in my opinion it has room for improvement over the next 5 years before reaching maturity. It is an interesting year for Redoma as back in the days it could get wine that was not making Batuta. In 2006, no Batuta was made, it got a lot of the good wines!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Frederick Blais wrote:I've been drinking a lot of Redoma 2006 recently, in my opinion it has room for improvement over the next 5 years before reaching maturity. It is an interesting year for Redoma as back in the days it could get wine that was not making Batuta. In 2006, no Batuta was made, it got a lot of the good wines!
Thanks.

What do they do with the Batuta left overs now?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

It goes into Vertente or Dialogo(Twisted in USA). Redoma is now a strict blend of big and old barrels, no bordeaux barrels allowed anymore in the blend. Vertente will get it if it is fresh enough, if not it will go into Dialogo. If Redoma barrel get declassified, it will also go into Vertente or Dialogo. Nowadays they could also create a label for those high quality rejection that simply do not fit the personality of the wine wanted. For example, some restaurants are getting the Coche or Turris rejection under their own label.
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Hi Andy!
Sorry for being late in responding.
In general I like Redoma, both the style and the value-for-money situation.
Also the acidity level is a bit lower than what I have experience with some of Niepoorts top-end Douro reds, such as Batuta and Charme.
Have had two bottles of Redoma 2011 in Portugal this year (May and September), and like it so much that I have recently ordered 3 cases (each 6 btls) of the 2011. Partly for drinking now and partly for storing for later years.

As for the 2006 this was a single bottle I found at the Wine monoply here in Norway, and I wrote on the tasting note when consuming the bottle that I want to buy more if I can find it. Not many bottles, as based only on this one bottle I am not sure they will improve much further. I have noticed that Frederic has consumed more of them than I have this year, and have a differant view for the next years to come. Bearing in mind the information from Fredric about "Batuta-grapes" being involved, makes it interesting to look for more bottles.
Frederick Blais

You have to be patient with Redoma in my opinion. It is a wild beast that needs some time in bottle. This year I had the 1991, 1994 and 1996 and were all fantastic. 2002 and 2006 where less interesting in their youth and now 2002 is showing superbly and 2006 is going in that same direction in my opinion. I agree with the acidity of 2006 being lower or at least the perception of it looks like it. Since that time, Niepoort has learned so much more about their vineyards and winemaking that's why that 2011 looks so different in its youth. 2011 is the first year that 100% of Redoma did not see bordeaux barrels in the blend, just like it's first few years version. Moving forward from this time, all of Redoma only see old big tonnels and balseiro.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Today I was re-organizing my cellar a bit and came across one bottle of the 2000 Niepoort Redoma red. Anyone have this in the last year or two?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Today I was re-organizing my cellar a bit and came across one bottle of the 2000 Niepoort Redoma red. Anyone have this in the last year or two?
nope
Frederick Blais

Roy Hersh wrote:Today I was re-organizing my cellar a bit and came across one bottle of the 2000 Niepoort Redoma red. Anyone have this in the last year or two?
Had it once like 3-4 years ago and it was still young. We compared with Vertente and Napoles at the same time, Redoma was more shut and showing good potential.