Old and rare Ports - Keep or drink

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Old and rare Ports - Keep or drink

Post by Andy Velebil »

The other day I was thinking about old Ports, really old rare Ports. Like stuff from the mid to early 1900's back to the 1800's. I know there are some people who think some of these rare old Ports should be saved what amounts to forever so other generations can experience them, or at least see a real bottle. Then I thought, at some point these are going to fall off the cliff and not be drinkable anymore. Or at least no longer be enjoyable to drink. So why should we keep bottles for so long that they basically die and are no longer drinkable? Why not, at some point before they start going off the edge, drink them and enjoy them? Curious to get peoples opinion on this.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael T

Re: Old and rare Ports - Keep or drink

Post by Michael T »

I have said this before and it is only my opinion but, if you don't intend to drink them then it might as well be filled with water, you will never know the difference. Obviously if you are holding them as an investment and intend to sell them then I can see why you would not open it.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Drink 'em!

It's like Michael said, if you aren't planning to drink them they might as well be filled with water. (Or vinegar!) Let someone else drink it, refill the bottle as you see fit, then keep your memento.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Drink em!
John M.

Post by John M. »

I can see keeping them with the purpose they be drunk at some point--even if its not for me (as in children or even grandchildren)--that would be a fine legacy. But to own a bottle and NEVER intend to open it---it denies the thing its existence. A wine is not a wine unless opened and tasted---its what it is and is to be. To keep it without intending to open it is no longer wine but a trophy.
Any Port in a storm!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Can't drink them when you're dead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Depends who you are saving them for and whether you've already had that vintage or not.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

But how would You know when this or that specifik bottle is going over the Hill?
I have an old Ferreira 1895, But if someone would tell me, that come Christmas 2014 the Wine is undrinkable, I would open it next weekend.

I Can asure that All my bottles will be consumed. By me, friends and family. I tend to drink my ports on a special occasions.
My MIl turns 80 next year, so I have some bottles from 1935 to be opend.

I find it difficult to answer.
If I have guests over, that enjoy drinking because of the alcohol, I dont open my older bottles.
But to sit and sip a great old bottle with a connaisseur, makes my Day, and I would open the Best bottle in the house.

[berserker.gif] All the Best from the Danish Viking
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:If I have guests over, that enjoy drinking because of the alcohol, I dont open my older bottles.
But to sit and sip a great old bottle with a connaisseur, makes my Day, and I would open the Best bottle in the house.
:thumbsup:
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:If I have guests over, that enjoy drinking because of the alcohol, I dont open my older bottles.
+1

-Brad

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
+3
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:
+3
Why the mutual exclusivity? Is it really impossible that a connoisseur would also enjoy drinking because of the alcohol?
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:
If I have guests over, that enjoy drinking because of the alcohol, I dont open my older bottles.
Allan, please PM your address to me immediately :wink:
Tom D.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom D. wrote:
Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:
Allan, please PM your address to me immediately :wink:
Me too please. :)

Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Dear Eric, Bradley, Andy, Julian and Tom

So many new friends in Ports, and If I post my address, so few old ports in my harbour [cheers.gif]

But guys, if You sail over the pond, and I will great you, and treat You.

Allan
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:Dear Eric, Bradley, Andy, Julian and Tom

So many new friends in Ports, and If I post my address, so few old ports in my harbour [cheers.gif]

Allan
My sailboat's enroute, LOL. I've not been to Denmark since 1994 while backpacking around Europe for the first time while on University holiday. Was by far the best country I visited and I still talk about how much fun I had...I need to get back. Though I did get lots of odd looks when i was there as it was in the mid 70's (degrees) with a cool wind so i was wearing a pull over sweatshirt as it was a bit chilly for me. They thought I was mad. I had to explain to people when I left Los Angeles a week earlier it was 105 degrees so this was a little cool for me.
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Allan
Allan, I'm sure you will receve a similar reception in the US [cheers.gif]
Tom D.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Tom D. wrote:

Allan
Allan, I'm sure you will receve a similar reception in the US [cheers.gif]
You definitely will the next time you're on our continent. There seems to be an FTLOPer in just about every corner of the US and Canada, so regardless of where you went, someone would be there happy to crack open something delicious. I haven't been to Denmark yet, my European travels limited to the UK and a brief jaunt to Paris, but Denmark is definitely on the list of places to get to.

-Brad