TN: 1969 D'Oliveiras Sercial Vintage Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

TN: 1969 D'Oliveiras Sercial Vintage Madeira

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tonight I opened up a baby Madeira that I received a couple of weeks ago but wanted to let settle down. It was offered along with the '27 Bastardo by RWC a couple of months ago.

The 1969 D'Oliveira Sercial - I am going to do my formal tasting note in January's newsletter, as I plan to have other dessert wines between now and Jan. 1st and only had two small glasses of this so far with only six hours of decanting. Now, I'll leave the bottle to see what happens with some aeration. I can say the first sip was a real shock to the system after a fusilli, meatball and red sauce at dinner with a beautiful '98 Fontodi Flaccianello.

The Madeira was tasted just a few minutes after finishing the aforementioned mouthfuls and this dry Sercial was like sucking on a lemon after a breakfast of pancakes with maple syrup. More to come!

But ... I was wondering if anyone else has had this Madeira before?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Apparently not! :)

Lemons eh? Interesting.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

'27 Bastardo

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

I opened a '27 Bastardo about a year ago. No notes were taken, but I recall (strongly) thinking that it needed more time. Leave it for your grandchildren — to celebrate the birth of one of their first grandchilden.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Julian,

Where did you obtain that bottle of '27 Bastardo?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

The Robert Maliner auction in New York, December 2004.

The Robert Maliner auction in New York, December 2004.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Makes sense. I will be seeing him in March for the 10th consecutive annual get together but no Madeiras this year. :(
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Two bottles, an auction and a wedding — not starring Hugh G.

Two of the bottles bought at that auction I served at my wedding. Very excellent indeed. If I could buy a seat at one of his tasting I would most definitely do so.