2007 Fortification Tour

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2007 Fortification Tour

Post by Roy Hersh »

Two spots just re-opened up for the FORTIFICATION TOUR due to the diagnosis of a very serious illness. I am very sorry about this happening.

:scholar: IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, PLEASE EMAIL ME ASAP!

THANKS,

ROY

Mario and I are considering putting together a tour of Madeira and Lisbon for the late Winter or Spring in the beginning of 2007. For those interested, here are a few questions that will help us provide the best possible experience. Please copy and paste this into your posting and it will be easier for us to keep track. There will be a maximum of 10 guests on this trip.

Thanks!

1. The month of _______________ works best for me, followed by __________ as a second choice.

2. I would plan to come alone on this tour.
3. I would be coming with ________ other guest(s).

4. My preference would be for a 6 or 7 night trip including the night prior to the start of the tour? _______ nights

5. Given my druthers I'd prefer the trip to include:
(delete the following items that don't apply to you)
a. nearly 100% wine centric
b. I would like to have at least one full day to explore on my own
c. I would like to have all meals included
d. I would prefer to have a chance to explore ___ meals on my own
e. I would like to have the tour include time to shop, explore museums, historic and cultural sites etc... as part of the trip
f. I am an avid golfer and would love a day of golfing on Madeira island

6. Given a 5 or 6 day trip, how many days would you like to spend in Lisbon vs. Madeira? ___________

7. My perfect trip would include the following:

This should give us an idea of what you are looking for. Thanks for your response. Should you choose to have more anonymity, please feel free to respond by email to: roy@fortheloveofport.com and type: Madeira Trip ... into the subject line.
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ok, so you "lurkers" have decided to send me emails instead of posting here.

It is becoming apparent that there is a common and repeating theme for a Spring trip:

"Can we do a Port and Madeira trip, all in the same week?"

Well the answer is: Yes of course.

I will get with Mario and pick a week in May and get working on this. That will give folks about six months lead time and I hope that is enough. I'll build an itinerary starting with Oporto and the Douro for the first half of the trip and then heading over to Funchal, Madeira. Sounds like a great trip to me. Bring the suntan lotion!
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

1. The month of ____May___________ works best for me, followed by ___April_______ as a second choice.

2. I would plan to come alone on this tour.

4. My preference would be for a 6 or 7 night trip including the night prior to the start of the tour? ___6____ nights

5. Given my druthers I'd prefer the trip to include:
(delete the following items that don't apply to you)
b. I would like to have at least one full day to explore on my own
d. I would prefer to have a chance to explore __3_ meals on my own
e. I would like to have the tour include time to shop, explore museums, historic and cultural sites etc... as part of the trip

6. Given a 5 or 6 day trip, how many days would you like to spend in Lisbon vs. Madeira? _2 Lisbon; 4 Madeira__________

This should give us an idea of what you are looking for. Thanks for your response. Should you choose to have more anonymity, please feel free to respond by email to: roy@fortheloveofport.com and type: Madeira Trip ... into the subject line.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric,

It turns out that emails I have received are clamoring for a combined trip of Port & Madeira, without any stop in Lisbon. That would make this more of a wine-centric trip although free time could be provided on the island.

Roy
Frank T

Post by Frank T »

I'd be interested. Please let me know as it shapes up. :D

Thanks!

Frank
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The DATES are now in place as May 14th-19th 2007
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Well, clearly this doesn't help but if you give Joan and I 4 years, we'll both be in for sure! Portugal too!!!