Virtual tasting January 2007 : Get a Douro dry wine

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Virtual tasting January 2007 : Get a Douro dry wine

Post by Frederick Blais »

I don't know about the wide availability of Douro wines in shop around the world. At least I think Vila Regia and Duas Quinta should be easily accessible. Share with us your comments and tell us how you think these wines compare to other wines from different regions in terms of quality and price.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Fred,
I iike the idea of a Douro dry wine. I'm in! Now, what to try.......
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

I did revisit the Vertente 2001 from Niepoort.

The color is amazingly still purple opaque just like a 2 years old wine. The nose is getting good complexity showing ripe fruit(plums and cherries), exotic wood tones, some mint too on the background with time. On the palate the wine is still solid, tannins are bold but still nothing agressive, the fruit is drying a bit showing flavors of plums and licorice reminding me more of a dry LBV Port, still the finale is ok showing some fruit and leather flavors. 16/20
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

WOW, what a coincident Fred. I just finished a bottle of 2001 Niepoort Vertente as I type.

Surprsing how similar my impression is. This was drunk over the course of 2 1/2 hours and it started to show its best after about 40-45 minutes of air.

Nose of ripe blueberries, a touch of plum, with a very slight hint of mint maybe. The palate was still bold and captivating, the tannins have rounded out and integrated very nicely with a very balanced does of acidity. A good dose of cedar, but not over done, leather, and dry dark berries round out the medium finish. 90 points

I think this is drinking at its best right now and should hold for a bit longer. My impression is to finish off the 4 remaing bottles I have in the next year or so. Although I may keep one, as an experiment, for several more years.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Tonight I had another Douro dry red wine, Fojo 2000.

This estate is run by the sister of Jorge Borges who is in charge of Passadouro and is the owner of Pintas. The color is still opaque and showing little age on the edge. The nose is simply charming! Showing such nice floral and dark ripe fruits. The floral notes are so much dominating that I'd smell that wine for ages. On the palate, packed with ripe dark pruits, tannins are still tightly knit, lots of wood chip flavours and graphite recalling some Pauillac show on the finale. The wine is perfectly balanced and would still need another 2 years before showing more complexity and letting the tannins integrate a bit. 17.5/20

This bottle was bought in Portugal and it is showing the same profile as the one bought in USA.
RonnieRoots

Post by RonnieRoots »

A nice theme. I've tried two different ones:

1. Flor de Crasto 2004
A new bottling by Quinta do Crasto. This wine sells at € 6,95 over here, and is clearly meant as a basic wine. Bright purple colour, warm nose with berries, cherries, herbs and some freshness from eucalyptus. The first mouthfeel is actually quite tannic and acidic. Dark cherries and some spices. Medium bodied. Needs air and food to round up a bit, and when that happens it's a very pleasant drinker. Good wine for the money, 85 points.

2. Symington's Altano Reserva 2001
I'm not a big fan of the regular Altano... well, that's understating it a bit, quite frankly I think it simply is a bad wine. But I never tasted the reserva, and I was eager to find out if I would like this better. It sells at € 13,95. Nice colour, slightly more concentrated and reddish than the Crasto. Sweet cassis and mildly toasted oak on the nose, but overall it leaves a bit of a dusty, unclean impression. That returns on the palate, the fruit seems subdued, and a bit overripe. Some nice flavours, but lacking in freshness. Tannins are elegant. Medium bodied wine. Short finish. Overall, not a bad wine, but not something that I truly enjoy drinking. 84 points
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I am currently drinking a Quinta do Crasto "Douro" 1995 - this is a wine sold under the Sainsbury (supermarket) label in the UK.

I have had 5 or 6 of these in the past 2 months. Very enjoyable.

A heavy wine which is very smooth and dry. A big fruity bomb of a wine but I am sure I can taste caramel. This is a great QPR wine at around £6 a bottle.

What I would love to know is whether or not this is a wine that was exclusively produced for Sainsbury or is it one of the Crasto brands with a different label?

Come on Crasto guys, which is it?

Derek