Flying with Bottles of Port

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Flying with Bottles of Port

Post by Al B. »

Just as a matter of interest, I assume that bottles are still banned as hand luggage on flights in and out of the US but I'd be grateful if someone could confirm this.

Are bottles also banned as hand luggage on flights in and out of Canada?

Thanks,

Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex,

Yes, in the US you cannot carry on bottles of wine. However, if you buy them in a store AFTER the security check points you can carry them on. Not sure what happens if you have a layover and have to change terminals (and then be re-screened through security). Knowing the idiots the TSA hires, they would probably prohibit you from carrying them past the second checkpoint. Then again, there is probably no wine you would want to buy anyways in a US airport, despite the high prices.

There is an expection for small personnal items. Here is the TSA (Transportation Security Administrations) website. It is very easy to read and navigate.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... items.shtm
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex,

You can carry liquids in hand baggage provided each bottle contains a maximum of 100ml - get down to M&S and buy yourself some of those 75cl minature bottles they always sell at Christmas (they will be half price now) and then fill 10 of them with a decanted bottle of something nice to see you through your trip 8)

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I shall be packing a few bottles in my checked luggage this weekend, but not hand baggage. In case the bottles suffer the pressure difference, I'm going to give them all a good wrap of cling film to minimise the consequences...

The oldest bottle will be a '70, and nothing of great value, so fret not! :D

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Have a good trip Tom - try to find an internet cafe in SE Asia and post a TN to let us know how VP goes with snake & dog stew :?

Derek
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

update

I flew yesturday out of O'hare Chicago and the check-in would not allow me to check in the wine that was in a shipper approved styro box. They said you can no longer take that quantity. I had the TSA supervisor come over and he said that as of January 1, 2007 one passenger may only carry up to 5 Liters of wine with no bottles greater in size than one liter. Major pain as I had to make arrangements to have the two cases held in Chicago so I may have them shipped.

Any suggestions on how to ship them from Chicago to Denver?

I'm moving about 7 cases from my parent's cellar to professional storage in Denver.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Raj,

The internet tells me that Chicago to Denver os 1050 miles. I regulaly drive 300 miles in a single hop so you could easily do this in 3 days with 2 stopovers. 800 miles is my longest one day journey by car so you could even do it in one day if you really need to.

The ideal solution to your problem is to hire a car (all self-respecting US cars can take 7 cases in the trunk), book 2 motels, decant 1 bottle of port into 2 half bottles, and enjoy your trip :D

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A typical case holds 9 liters of wine, so this is going to really, really stink for international travel. I wonder if the limit of 5 liters is per person or per box?

Anyway, bringing cases of wine back from overseas is now going to be a MAJOR hassle.

Aren't there any wine drinkers amongst the dopes that make the laws?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

When they ask what is in that box...say 1/2 bottles of wine :) worked for me coming back from Portugal
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Transport has become much less convenient.

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

I have most of my port in my father’s cellar in Sussex (England), but live in New York. Transport has become much less convenient.

--This post edited by the Admin.
-- At the same time that jdaw1 was editing it! PC gone mad, though gone mad by popular wish.
-- And then re-edited by jdaw1 as neither he nor admin noticed the title.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy V. wrote:Alex,

Yes, in the US you cannot carry on bottles of wine. However, if you buy them in a store AFTER the security check points you can carry them on. .

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... items.shtm
My friends just flew in from ZRH vis AMS to BOS and she bought two bottles at the Duty Free in ZRH and they were NOT allow to carry them on the plane. She had to toss them in the trash and fight it out with the Duty Free when she gets home... :cry:
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses,

Guess I should be more clear. A long as the flight has no contections, or changing of planes on US soil then you are ok. However, if you have to de-plane, then reboard another plane, you typically have to go through security again. Now (not to be mean) but with the TSA, the left hand don't know what the right is always doing. Add to that their rules, at times, are not totally thought out and there is no room for common sense. Darn government employees :roll:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The 2nd frustrating part is that Duty Free shop told her she was all set and my Schnapps is in the trash!
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Going to Tampa Fl. in April ( flying ) .
Just read the TSA :roll:
Was hoping to bring back a bottle of VP to Canada Oooops !!!
( I have a connection in Detroit )
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have it on solid authority that the 5.0 liter rule applies to liquor and not to wine, therefore the TSA agent was mistaken. Canada rules are the same as ours in terms of not carrying alcoholic beverages in carry on luggage. The only way to guarantee that you are allowed to bring a shipper through is to carry a copy of the TSA regulations printed out, with you on international flights, or even domesitc ones within the USA!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

there are other threads that I responded to saying the same effect. I just traveled out to Chicago again last week and this time I was prepared with the TSA printout saying anything under 24% alcohol doesn't get limited by the rules. The airline said, "That is fine, but our airline doesn't allow you to carry that much" Finally another frontier airline employee came over and let it through. What a Pain in the >>>
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Please post a link to that which travellers should carry.

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Please post a link to that which travellers should carry.