March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

Re: March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I'm always up for a road trip as well! Though I'm going to need to lighten the cellar a bit after this order...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

With the ordering period half over now, the only surprise I have seen so far is that not a single order was placed by any of our UK subscribers, (of which there are many).

In general, the European subscribers were less enthused with this offering than expected although those that did order, went hog wild. I thought the pricing (which included VAT, shipping and insurance) was crazy good for those in Europe.

Although pricing was higher in the USA due to overseas shipping and importer involvement, the quantity of orders was absolutely off the charts. Still waiting on word from Canada. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:With the ordering period half over now, the only surprise I have seen so far is that not a single order was placed by any of our UK subscribers, (of which there are many).

In general, the European subscribers were less enthused with this offering than expected although those that did order, went hog wild. I thought the pricing (which included VAT, shipping and insurance) was crazy good for those in Europe.

Although pricing was higher in the USA due to overseas shipping and importer involvement, the quantity of orders was absolutely off the charts. Still waiting on word from Canada. [cheers.gif]
They are still in denial that they love Tawny's too :stir:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ok all, see the offline thread. L.A. offline has been posted. [cheers.gif] [friends.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bryan H.

Post by Bryan H. »

Finally got my act together and ordered 5 cases.

1 case each of 03, 04, 05 Rio Bom
1 case S Leo 20 year (I've always regretted not getting more of the 20 year Duque, don't want to have such regrets...)
1 case mixed of 10,30,40,60,100 year

Can't wait. Thanks for the hard work on this Roy.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bryan H. wrote:Finally got my act together and ordered 5 cases.

1 case each of 03, 04, 05 Rio Bom
1 case S Leo 20 year (I've always regretted not getting more of the 20 year Duque, don't want to have such regrets...)
1 case mixed of 10,30,40,60,100 year

Can't wait. Thanks for the hard work on this Roy.
5 cases [notworthy.gif] [notworthy.gif]
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy Hersh wrote:With the ordering period half over now, the only surprise I have seen so far is that not a single order was placed by any of our UK subscribers, (of which there are many).
I'm one of those subscribers and one who decided not to place an order, although it was a really tough decision. This decision was driven by a number of points:
  • I'm short of cellar space
  • I'm going to need my cash later in the year to pay to refurbish my car
  • I mainly drink mature VP and very little TWIOA - probably only one bottle a year from my own cellar
  • The 12 bottle minimum was too big a hurdle given my interest was in the 60 and 100 year old - but I couldn't afford 12 of those
But it was really great to see a Port Buying Op that was open to us in Europe and the prices were really good. If only I could have bought 3 bottles I would have taken the opportunity like a shot. But it has been great to watch the enthusiasm on this thread and I really hope that one day I might get to share some of these wines with those lucky enough to have been able to buy them.
John M.

Post by John M. »

I just ordered one case....

3 x 10 Year
3 x 20 Year
2 x 30 Year
2 x 40 Year
1 x 2000 VP
1 x 2002 Rio Bom Reserva

Thank you Roy!!
Any Port in a storm!
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

I just got 10 bottles of different Vinho do Portos from a Portuguese auktion. And just after christmas, I got my hands on quite a few old Tawnies from Niepoort ( from 1912 and earlier)
If I could have ordered one bottle of the 60 y, I would have done that. But not a hole case.

Not this time....
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

First of all: Thanks, Roy - you have done an amazing job to set this all up. I love these wines and the pricing seems absolutely fair. My only complaint is that we have a whole week to place orders. I placed my order of course in the beginning of the week... and now I'm starting to think "Oh my God, you haven't ordered enough"... and I think I will have to add to my order... Instead of the usual buyer's remorse I feel the panic that I haven't bought enough... [help.gif]

I'm sure when economists look later back at the Portuguese trade balance figures, there will be a big spike in April 2015, and everybody will refer to that month as "the month with the FTLOP-thing". So we are doing a good thing here, turning around the Portuguese economy!

So far I have ordered the following:
20 Year Old: 1 Bottles
30 year Old: 2 Bottle
40 Year Old: 3 Bottles
60 Year Old: 5 Bottles
Velhissimo 100: 1 Bottle

I think I have to add a few 30 and 40 Year Old Ports, to prevent myself from drinking the 60 Year Olds too quickly...

Again, Roy: Thanks a lot! Fantastic initiative! The savings from this order - compared with retail - will alone provide the subscription-costs of the newsletter for many, many years to come...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

For Alex and Allan,

To be clear ... you could have purchased one or two bottles of the Port you wanted and then filled in with some of the least expensive table wines that would have kept the case buy very reasonable. Yet, I understand your points and appreciate the candor!

We had to make this worthwhile for Miguel and the two importers to ship and especially from the cellar door, he did not want to handle lots of orders of one or two bottles. But as Alex mentioned, at least they were available to so many countries and that made it worth all of the effort put in by those behind the scenes.

I heard an update from the USA orders today and it is absolutely staggering in terms of how many orders were placed and the total cases. :NotWorthy:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Just as an aside--they told me it ended today, not the 12th. So if you are thinking about it, better to pull the trigger now or at least confirm it.

I agree the prices are great---seem to get better the older we go....a 40 year old for under $100...wow.
Any Port in a storm!
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

I just received confirmation of my order:

4 x 30 Year
3 x 40 Year
4 x 60 Year
1 x 100 Year

I would have liked to have ordered more, however, house building commitments are keeping me tempered. I cannot wait for our home to finish construction so I can take better advantage of these opPORTunities.

Many thanks Roy for all of your efforts and commitments to secure this incredible buying op.

Bob :NotWorthy:
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Roy, as a future marketing figure, and a fun fact for your current subscribers, you should tally up the savings over MSRP we collectively saved on this offer. I'm willing to bet just about any of us who ordered are in Christian's position of not only saving enough to cover a years subscription, but far far more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Last night I ordered 12x of the 20 Yr Tawny and 9x of the 30Yr Tawny, it was confirmed rather quickly.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy Hersh wrote: I heard an update from the USA orders today and it is absolutely staggering in terms of how many orders were placed and the total cases. :NotWorthy:
Will you be able to share with us what the final orders added up to be? I'd love to know how much was ordered in the end.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Michael T wrote:Last night I ordered 12x of the 20 Yr Tawny and 9x of the 30Yr Tawny, it was confirmed rather quickly.
I just finished out that second case with 3 bottles of the 2002 Rio Bom Reserva.
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

Can anyone explain why I cant get into the newsletter on line? I just got back from holiday and would like to try to order (although I may be too late!!!!?????)
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Russ K wrote:Can anyone explain why I cant get into the newsletter on line? I just got back from holiday and would like to try to order (although I may be too late!!!!?????)
Russ, I am having the same problem right now. Fortunately, I was able to download the newsletter just fine several days ago, and have already placed my order.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've emailed our tech guys. Hopefully they get it sorted very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk