Caution on flying Domestically in US with wine

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Raj Patil

Caution on flying Domestically in US with wine

Post by Raj Patil »

update

I flew yesturday out of O'hare Chicago and the check-in would not allow me to check in the wine that was in a shipper approved styro boxes. They said you can no longer take that quantity. I had the TSA supervisor come over and he said that as of January 1, 2007 one passenger may only carry up to 5 Liters of wine with no bottles greater in size than one liter. Major pain as I had to make arrangements to have the two cases held in Chicago so I may have them shipped.

Any suggestions on how to ship them from Chicago to Denver?

I'm moving about 7 cases of fine port from my parent's cellar to professional storage in Denver.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Raj,

Had a similar incident when coming home from Portugal last year. Had a layover, and while checking in for my second leg home the check-in clerk asked what was in my shipper box. I replied wine. She started asking all kinds of questions, which got me very suspicious. So I did what all good wine lovers do when shipping wine..I lied my arse off. I was asked what the alcohol content was in each bottle ( said it was white wine at only 10-11% ABV). Was asked how many litres ( said about 2 total), which got a funny look from her as it was a 12 pack box (so of course I said the bottles were only 1/2 bottles)...to which she finally smiled and said that was no problem. Box went onto plane and home we both went.

Moral of the story...say as little as possible and LIE as much as you can :twisted:

BTW: Raj, since you posted the same thread, I think this thread should be merged with the other "Flying with wine" thread.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

as soon as they heard wine, they immediately said they will need to open up the box to look. I think maybe I was just chosen to be the victim for the day.
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

finally got TSA on the phone, I asked if there are any wine restrictions - he immediately responded that since august there is a maximum of 5 liters per ticketed passenger. I asked him if there are two passengers can the total exceed 5 L but under 10L be in one box - he said that they cannot. If I'm transporting fine port (I had a case of 2000 taylor and fonseca) I'd hate to lie then have them open it and then have them confiscate. Any ideas on what domestic company I can use? eg UPS Fedex?
Gizzyeq
Location: NYC & Japan, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by Gizzyeq »

well UPS and Fedex have the risk of being discovered also...unless there's a dedicated shipper like Western Carriers...then i would suggest that you store your wine temporarily at a wine storage facility in Chicago then just have them ship it (or if you can beg them to just ship it for you )
I know HdH wineco has a storage facility that they rent out and can ship you could try asking them
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Another oenophile provided this on squire board:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1189.shtm

apparently wine is ok without regulation as long as alcohol content is less than 24%
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Jeesh. Us individual wine and Port lovers need some representation on the Hill. Roy, any plans to earmark FTLOP donations for a lobbyist :?: :D

So it sounds like TSA was wrong to stop your wine from being checked as Port is less than 24% alcohol. I just printed off that TSA notice for my travel briefcase as living in Alaska with limited selection in any wine, I always bring back a case or so from my travels across the US. Its just a pain now that I can't use my handy carry on wine luggage to bring on the plane these days. But like Andy, I work my way very carefully thru customs/TSA with wine.

Although I alternate between UPS and DHL to get my wine shipped up here, DHL seems very savy in transporting wine. The case is clearly marked as alcohol AND fragile and the one driver I talked with said they get special handling training to treat wine shipments with care. Plus my driver leaves it in my entry way when he's not supposed to keep it out of the Alaska chill.
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Andy V. You have confirmed once again what all defense attorneys know--policemen do lie! :wink:
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Only about MY wine, when some crazy half-baked airline rep, who doesn't know the rules from their arse, tries to prevent me taking it home to drink :lol: :wink:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com